Bengaluru, Jun 22 (PTI): Against the backdrop of ruling Congress MLA B R Patil's allegation of corruption in the housing schemes for the poor, the BJP in Karnataka on Sunday said it would launch an agitation in the state. However, the party did not specify when it would be held.
BJP state president B Y Vijayendra said Patil's statement exposed corruption prevailing in the government.
Patil, who also serves as the Deputy Chairman of the Karnataka State Policy and Planning Commission, had alleged bribery in the allotment of houses in a phone conversation with Housing Minister B Z Zameer Ahmed Khan's private secretary, Sarfaraz Khan.
The audio clip of the conversation went viral, causing embarrassment to the ruling Congress government.
The Aland MLA later confirmed the voice in the audio was his.
"It is my voice in the audio. I have spoken... I have said whatever I had to. I don't know what the chief minister will do. If he calls me, I will go and speak to him," Patil told reporters on Saturday.
He maintained that he had only spoken the truth.
Reacting to this, Vijayendra told reporters, "Senior leader and Congress MLA B R Patil has thrown light on the grave situation prevailing in the state. Patil has exposed the corruption within the department entrusted with providing housing to the poor."
Vijayendra, who is also an MLA from Shikaripura, alleged that ruling party leaders were trying to intimidate Patil.
"One thing is for sure -- this Congress government has become a curse for the poor people of the state. The Siddaramaiah government is not working in favour of the underprivileged," the BJP state chief said.
He added that when his father B S Yediyurappa was chief minister, several pro-people measures were implemented.
Vijayendra alleged that corruption was rampant in the current administration.
"This is a state government that encourages corruption. There is sponsored corruption in Karnataka. All of this is now coming to light through B R Patil's statement," he said, and added that "the BJP will take to the streets on this issue."
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
