Belagavi (Karnataka), Jun 23 (PTI): Bharamgouda Alagouda Kage (Raju Kage), the ruling Congress MLA from Kagwad, on Monday "threatened to resign" from the Karnataka Assembly, alleging "administrative collapse" in the state.
Speaking to reporters in Belagavi, Kage expressed frustration over delays in development work in his constituency.
"The administration in the entire state has collapsed. I am hurt. I am seriously considering resigning. It won’t be surprising if I meet Chief Minister Siddaramaiah in the next two days and submit my resignation," alleged Kage.
He claimed that no development work has taken place in Kagwad for the past two years.
Supporting fellow Congress MLA B R Patil from Aland, Kage echoed concerns about "corruption and stagnation in public works".
"I stand with B R Patil. Whatever he said is true. It’s been two years since any groundbreaking ceremony was held in our constituency," he added.
Kage pointed out that although Siddaramaiah had earlier announced projects worth Rs 25 crore under special grants—including Rs 12 crore for road works and Rs 13 crore for community buildings—the work orders have not yet been issued.
When asked about the delay, he said, "I am equally puzzled." B R Patil had earlier alleged corruption in a government housing scheme, claiming that money was being collected from beneficiaries.
However, Minister BZ Zameer Ahmed Khan categorically denied Patil's allegations.
Speaking to reporters in Raichur, Siddaramaiah said he would speak to Kage. He, however, clarified that there are no special grants or chief minister's grants
"People refer to all the grants we give as 'special grants'. But that's not the case. We provide special grants only where they are required," Siddaramaiah said.
Regarding B R Patil, Siddaramaiah said he has asked him to meet on June 25.
Commenting on Kage's charges, BJP state president B Y Vijayendra claimed in a post on 'X', "Corruption and loot are integral parts of the Congress administration."
Vijayendra said the Aland MLA B R Patil, too, has highlighted the condition where, even for sanctioning houses for the poor, bribes have to be paid, "thus exposing the shameful state of the government."
He alleged that the Congress administration "is haunting the state like a curse."
"Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar, who had earlier spoken low about the BJP’s agitation and the Janagraha Yatra, are now being answered by their party MLAs," Vijayendra claimed.
Further, he alleged that while there is a cold war going on for the Chief Minister’s post between Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar.
"Congress MLAs themselves have risen in protest against the corruption and lack of development in the state government," Vijayendra claimed.
"There was already a situation where people had to pay bribes for every government service at the constituency level, and now even MLAs have become victims of this bribery culture, as testified by MLAs B R Patil and Kage," Vijayendra charged.
With no grants available and unable to address people’s problems, Congress MLAs have reached a state of despair, he alleged.
"The wall of patience is beginning to wither, and many Congress MLAs are now joining the line with Patil and Kage. When ruling party MLAs themselves express helplessness at the corruption and looting within the government, it is clear that governance in the state has completely collapsed," Vijayendra claimed.
He also urged Karnataka Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot to immediately intervene and take a decision in the interest of the state.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
