Bengaluru: Minister for Higher education, who is also the Deputy Chief Minister Dr. C N Ashwath Narayan clarified that the department would not force any students to get vaccinated and confirmed that the decision to get vaccinated would be up to them.
Although earlier, the higher education department had intended to administer the Covid-19 vaccines to the eligible students in July and planned on resuming classes in August, they have clarified that students do not need to get vaccinated.
According to existing data from the department, 94,000 students have been vaccinated as of June 28, 2021 (Monday). It had earlier been their aim to vaccinate all the students in the course of the next 10 days.
Department Officials have revealed that the students will be given options to attend either online or offline classes as it is not obligatory for students to attend in-person classes after vaccination.
It is to be noted that a doctor from Mangaluru Dr. Srinivas Kakkilaya along with a student and parents of two students had sent legal notice to the Karnataka Government after it had announced that the colleges in the state will reopen after all the students, teaching and non-teaching staff would be vaccinated in a special vaccination drive. In the notice they had termed the government's move as illegal and unscientific, adding that vaccines cannot be made mandatory on any citizen and it should be a voluntary call. It had further cited the judgement of Meghalaya High Court to support their cause.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.
In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.
In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.
Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.
"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.
He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.
Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.
"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.
He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.
"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.
According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.
As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.
A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.
The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.
It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.
The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.
It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.