Bengaluru: The state government is reportedly considering replacing a clause in the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, which mandates that the children of SC/ST individuals who died in an atrocity case must complete 18 years of age within three years the death to qualify for government jobs on Compassionate Grounds (CG).

Since the implementation of this rule in 2018, at least 60 applicants have missed out on government employment opportunities because they did not meet the age criteria, as reported by the Deccan Herald on Tuesday. In light of this, the State Vigilance and Monitoring Committee, chaired by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, recently held a meeting to discuss possible reforms to address the issue.

Under the existing provisions of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, the family of a deceased individual who died in an atrocity case receives a compensation of Rs 8.25 lakh. This is paid in two installments: 50 percent after the post-mortem and the remaining amount once the chargesheet is sent to the court. Additionally, the deceased’s widow is provided with a monthly pension of Rs 5,000, while an eligible family member is offered a government job under CG

However, the current law prevents children between the ages of 5 and 14 from benefiting from the job scheme. Sources suggest that the Social Welfare Department is in favour of removing this age restriction, but the final decision is still pending, the report mentioned.

Former MP L. Hanumanthaiah told DH that this will be a good decision as age should not restrict these children from becoming government employees. “Thus, those children who were denied job opportunities will now get them. This move is a progressive step for the development of these communities,” he said.

A senior official from the Social Welfare Department mentioned that prior to 2022, family members of deceased with independent annual incomes exceeding Rs 40,000 were disqualified from applying for CG jobs. Although this restriction has since been removed, the official added that the meeting discussed offering a one-time opportunity for individuals who missed out on jobs due to this clause.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".