Bengaluru, Jun 23 (PTI): The Karnataka government on Monday reclaimed 120 acres of forest land valued at Rs 4,000 crore, encroached upon in Kadugodi plantation here, officials said.
The drive against encroachment was initiated following the direction of state Forest, Environment and Ecology Minister Eshwar Khandre.
According to officials, amid tight police security, a team led by officers of the Bengaluru Urban Forest Department began the operation early this morning using JCBs to remove encroachments from the Kadugodi plantation forest land, which is situated at Bidarahalli Hobali of Bengaluru East taluk.
During the operation, officials demarcated boundaries, erected fences, and initiated planting saplings of native species to revive the ecosystem.
The estimated market value of the reclaimed forest land today is around Rs 4,000 crore, they said.
During a recent review meeting with the senior officials of the forest department, Minister Khandre emphasised the urgent need to conserve Bengaluru's "shrinking" green cover.
He noted that as Bengaluru has been expanding rapidly, the city's green cover was depleting by the day.
In this regard, the government has issued clear instructions to protect green zones as vital breathing spaces and directed officials to strictly clear forest land encroachments in accordance with the law.
Since Khandre took charge as Forest Minister, 128 acres of forest land was cleared of encroachments in Bengaluru over the past two years.
"With the addition of today's 120 acres, a total of 248 acres have now been reclaimed, with an estimated market value exceeding Rs 8,000 crore," the forest department officials stated.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
