Bengaluru, Aug 2: Karnataka Energy Minister K J George on Tuesday said 'Gruha Jyothi' scheme, one of the five poll guarantees of the Congress promising to provide up to 200 units of free power to households, will be formally launched on August 5 in Kalaburagi.

"We had announced that from July, the electricity will be free up to 200 units and July's bill will come in August. We have now started the process of giving the bills. Under this ambitious scheme, already 1.42 crore consumers have registered," George said.

Speaking to reporters here, he said, on the suggestion of the Chief Minister, cabinet colleague, legislators and others, it has been decided to organise a formal launch of the scheme, outside Bengaluru, and it will be at Kalaburagi on August 5.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, Congress President and Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge, Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar, among others will grace the occasion, he said, adding that all the ministers have been asked by the CM to organise similar events in their respective districts.

The benefit under this scheme is calculated based on average consumption for financial year 2022-23, plus 10 percent additional, but total amounting to less than 200 units.

Of the 1.42 crore applicants so far, close to 18 lakhs were received from beneficiaries of various existing schemes such as Bhagya Jyothi, Kuteera Jyothi and Amrut Jyothi.

Stating that those who exceed 200 units usage will not be eligible under the scheme and their application will be rejected, George said.

"Those consumers who have applied and their consumption is within 200 units, based on the average and ten per cent additional, they will get zero bill. If the consumer has used above average and 10 per cent, but is still under 200 units, they will be charged the differential amount (between average and used units)."

Those who have registered under the scheme up to July 27 are eligible under the scheme, he said, adding there is no cutoff date for the scheme, and anyone who wants to register afresh and benefit from the scheme, can apply even now.

Responding to a question whether there is an increase in electricity consumption after the announcement of the scheme, the minister said there is no relation between the both.

Noting that there are 2.16 crore RR numbers (Revenue Register -- a unique identification number that is assigned to each electricity connection) in the state, he said, out of them 2.14 crore consumers use less than 200 units, and only 2 lakh use more than 200 units.

He said tenants can also apply for the scheme, and they have a different eligibility criteria, as the state average of 53 units plus 10 per cent additional usage, will be considered.

Responding to a question, George said the government will reimburse the Electricity Supply Companies (ESCOMs) for the cost incurred due to the implementation of the scheme.

The government has already implemented poll guarantee, 'Shakti', by providing free services for women in public transport buses last month, and 'Anna Bhagya' scheme -- by payment of cash in lieu of the additional 5 kg rice to beneficiaries.

The remaining two guarantees that the government is taking steps to implement are -- Rs 2,000 monthly assistance to the woman head of every family (Gruha Lakshmi) from August 16; and Rs 3,000 every month for unemployed graduate youth and Rs 1,500 for unemployed diploma holders (Yuva Nidhi) by November or December.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru (PTI): Ruling out any internal differences in the ruling Congress in Karnataka, senior party leader and Home Minister G Parameshwara on Thursday said there may be certain minor differences of opinion, but there are no major issues or confusions within.

He also said that his absence in Delhi where Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and several senior Ministers are camping and plan to meet party high command, is not because of any disgruntlement. Even though he agreed he was not invited to Karnataka Bhavan inauguration in Delhi, he said it is not too important to attend it.

"Where is the internal difference? I myself don't know. You (media) may be creating certain things and speaking. There is no difference among us. Congress is in power and we are running the administration and are implementing programmes," Parameshwara said.

Responding to a question whether there will be an end to internal differences in the Congress with the Chief Minister meeting party senior leader Rahul Gandhi and other central leaders in Delhi, he further said, "There may be minor difference of opinion, it will naturally be there, but it cannot be called an issue or confusion."

CM Siddaramaiah met Rahul Gandhi early on Thursday.

The meeting is seen as a significant one in the backdrop of power tussle in the ruling Congress and speculations about the change in Chief Minister's post later this year. Shivakumar and Parameshwara are seen as the major contenders for the post.

Party sources said that issues like demand to replace Shivakumar from the post of state congress chief, honey-trap attempts as alleged by Minister K N Rajanna might have taken up for discussion as well.

Responding to a question on speculations within the party including the one about changing state Congress President, Parameshwara, who held the post in the past said, "Some want change, some want the same person to continue. It was the same thing when I held the post and when my first term ended, high command called all the state leaders and spoke to them, and then I was asked to continue."

Deputy CM Shivakumar is currently on an extension in the KPCC President post.

Asked whether his opinion has been sought by AICC regarding the developments in the state unit and nominations for vacant MLC posts, the Home Minister said, no one has sought any opinion and there has been no discussion in this regard.

"My opinion is not important, with the passage of time things keep changing. With the flow of fresh water, old water has to flow forward. You interpret however you want," he said when reporters tried to elicit his response on whether his opinion is being considered by the party while making decisions.

Parameshwara said he was not invited for the inauguration of the reconstructed Karnataka Bhavan building -1 'Cauvery' on Wednesday evening, but ruled out any disgruntlement.

Noting that he was the one who had laid the foundation for the Karnataka Bhavan, as the then Deputy Chief Minister, he said, "I don't know, no one has invited me. How to go to the event in Delhi without any invite? So I did not go..."

He however also said that he did not find the event to be that important for him to attend. "Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister and PWD Minister were already there and I don't feel that I too should be there. I felt it was not necessary to attend."

Rejecting any difference with Shivakumar as the reason for skipping the event in Delhi and Siddaganga Math event in Tumakuru, he said, "I can even now go to his house immediately if needed. We don't have any such things, we are very good friends."