Bengaluru (PTI): Pitching Bengaluru as an "ever-evolving engine of transformation", Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar on Tuesday said that the state government is improving the infrastructure by spending over Rs 1 lakh crore on the city.

Shivakumar, who is also the Minister incharge of Bengaluru Development, was speaking at the inaugural of the 28th edition of Bengaluru Tech Summit 2025.

Touted to be Asia's largest technology event, it is being organised by the Department of Electronics, IT & Bt, Government of Karnataka and Software Technology Parks of India (STPI).

"We recognise that technology, innovation, and investment flourish only when the foundations are strong. That's why our government is accelerating infrastructure at unprecedented speed," Shivakumar said.

Addressing the gathering, he highlighted that the government has launched mega infrastructure projects in Bengaluru -- twin tunnel project of 40 KMs at Rs 42,500 crore, double Decker Metro 41 KMs at Rs 18,000 crore, elevated corridor 110 KMs at Rs 15,000 crore, buffer roads 320 KMs at Rs 5,000 crore, SkyDeck at Rs 500 crore, and Bangalore Business Corridor of 74 KMs at Rs 27,000 crore.

"We are spending over 1 lakh crore on Bengaluru city to improve infrastructure," he added.

Pointing out that a second airport is being planned for Bengaluru, the Deputy CM said, in order to help and co-ordinate the NRI's, the Government of Karnataka is starting a separate Secretariat for NRIs.

"We are developing residential layouts for NRI's; a world class city near Bidadi in 9,000 acres - AI City. We are building an international complex to house all international business houses," he said, adding that no other cities match Bengaluru weather and culture.

Asserting that technology and talent are Bengaluru's twin pillars, Shivakumar said, Bengaluru's strength lies not just in its infrastructure or policy incentives--it lies in its people.

Appealing industry captains to help the government in making rural education strong with CSR, while stating that necessary policies are being brought in this regard, the Deputy CM said, together, let us build a future where technology, creativity, and enterprise create opportunities not only for our state or our country, but for the entire world.

"I assure you on behalf of Karnataka that we will co-operate and extend all possible support for mutual growth," he said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.

Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.

According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.


“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.

Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.

Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.

The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.

After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.