Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara on Monday said the state government would hold the 'Pragatiyatta Karnataka' programme in Tumakuru on May 19 to distribute beneficiary letters to 1,52,000 people and highlight the achievements of the Congress government after completing three years in office.
The event will take place on Tuesday at the Junior College Grounds in Tumakuru. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, his deputy D K Shivakumar, Revenue Minister Krishna Byre Gowda will take part in the event along with him.
Parameshwara, who reviewed preparations on Sunday, dismissed suggestions that the event in his home district was a show of strength, saying the programme was aimed at informing people about the implementation of government schemes and fulfilment of poll promises.
He also clarified that it was a government event and not linked to internal party matters or the Congress high command.
“We do not look at it from the perspective of a show of strength. We have to tell people that we have kept the promises we made to them and acted accordingly. That is what we are setting out to say,” Parameshwara told reporters in Bengaluru.
He said the convention would have two components, including distribution of letters to beneficiaries under the Revenue Department and programmes related to the conversion of revenue villages under municipal limits.
“A total of 152,000 beneficiaries will receive letters as part of the programme. We also have to inform people about what all we have done in these three years. The people of the state have the right to know that,” he said.
On speculation about the presence of party high command leaders, Parameshwara said, “This is entirely a government programme. It is not a party programme. We have not invited anyone from the high command.”
Regarding the government’s roadmap for the remaining two years of its term, he said the administration had already implemented most of its short-term commitments and would now focus on long-term infrastructure and irrigation projects.
“When we prepared this manifesto, we looked at it in terms of short-term and long-term plans. In the short term, we have carried out everything that had to be implemented within three years,” he said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Jodhpur (PTI): Two persons have been arrested here in connection with alleged rape of two sisters, both of whom committed suicide after repeated police complaints were purportedly ignored.
The younger sister consumed pesticide after climbing a water tank in the village of the accused persons on May 15, alleging that she and her sister had been repeatedly raped by the accused for years and police had turned a blind eye to their complaints.
In her complaint to police, she alleged that the accused were now sexually assaulting her and extorting money from her by threatening to circulate videos of her elder sister.
Her elder sister took the extreme step on March 20.
The younger sister's suicide sparked outrage, triggering protests by her angry family members and villagers. They gathered outside the mortuary and demanded the immediate arrest of all accused and compensation for the family.
The protesters said that timely action by police could have prevented the two deaths.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) (Jodhpur Rural) Bhopal Singh Lakhawat on Monday said two accused have been arrested in the case and are being interrogated.
The two arrested accused are among eight booked in connection with the matter based on a complaint lodged by the women's brother. Searches are underway to trace the remaining accused, police said.
According to the women's family, the younger sister had lodged a complaint at the Khedapa police station on April 11, alleging that she was raped by eight men. However, despite repeated complaints and appeals, no action was taken for over a month.
On May 7, she wrote to the superintendent of police, accusing the local police of failing to act against the accused. From May 10 onwards, she started receiving threats through WhatsApp calls and messages and this information was also shared with police. Still, no legal action was initiated in the matter, the family alleged, the family claimed.
On May 15, the woman consumed the pesticide and died while being taken to the hospital.
The woman's elder sister was sexually assaulted, blackmailed with obscene videos and repeatedly threatened by the same accused. Unable to bear the harassment, she committed suicide after no action was taken on her complaint as well, the family claimed.
Amid mounting criticism, the investigation into the case has been transferred to an Additional Superintendent of Police-level officer.
Bawdi outpost in-charge Dharmendra has been attached to the police lines pending inquiry, police said.
No action has been taken yet against other officials concerned.
