Bengaluru(PTI): The Karnataka High Court on Saturday sought the Union government’s response to a petition challenging the Promotion and Regulation of Online Gaming Act, 2025, which petitioners argue threatens to wipe out the livelihood of thousands of people overnight.

The matter was heard by Justice B M Shyam Prasad, who granted time to the Centre to file its reply while allowing the petitioners to submit detailed arguments in support of their plea for an interim stay on the Act’s operation.

Senior counsel representing the petitioners contended that although the Act had received Presidential assent, it had not yet been notified. He argued that immediate implementation would deal a severe blow to the industry.

"If this industry is shut down overnight, the consequences will be serious. The government should either withhold notification until we are heard, or at least provide one week’s notice so we can approach the court," counsel submitted.

Appearing for the Union government, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta said this was the first time a court would be scrutinising the competence of such legislation, given its cross-border implications. He added that once Parliament passes a law and it receives Presidential assent, notification is part of the constitutional process.

"Courts may not interfere at this stage. Merely because an individual feels aggrieved, it does not mean the government is required to give advance notice before notifying the law," he argued.

When asked whether the Centre intended to notify the law immediately, the SG said he would seek instructions. The court then adjourned the matter, directing the Union to place its response along with the petitioner’s submissions seeking interim relief.

The petitioners have challenged the Online Gaming Act on the grounds that it was enacted without consultation or deliberation, despite the government earlier promoting the online skill-gaming industry. They contended that the sudden shift risks crores of rupees in investments and threatens the livelihood of over two lakh employees in the sector.

The plea relies on Supreme Court precedent affirming that skill-based games involving stakes are a legitimate business under Article 19(1)(g) of the Constitution. It argues that a blanket ban is neither proportionate nor the least restrictive means available, and is therefore unconstitutional.

The petition further alleges that the Act is arbitrary and violative of fundamental rights under Articles 14, 19(1)(a), 19(1)(g), and 21, including freedom of expression, the right to livelihood, and the right to carry on trade.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Kurukshetra (PTI): A 19-year-old student from Telangana allegedly died by suicide at the National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Haryana's Kurukshetra district on Monday.

The student, identified as Angod Shiva, was found hanging from a ceiling fan in his hostel room, police said.

He was a resident of Maheshwari village in Rangareddy district, Telangana, and a first-semester student pursuing a degree in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) at the institute and was staying in a hostel room on the campus.

No suicide note was found at the spot, police said.

ALSO READ:  Student killed, three injured in clash at college in Maharashtra's Latur; 4 held

At the time of the incident, Shiva was alone in his room. His two roommates, both from Haryana, had gone for lunch. Earlier in the morning, Shiva had attended his classes around 10 am. After the class, he returned to his room while his roommates left for lunch, officials said.

When Shiva did not come to the mess for lunch, one of his roommates went back to call him. The room was locked from the inside. Despite repeated knocking, there was no response. The roommate then went around to the rear side of the building and looked through a window, where he allegedly saw Shiva hanging from the ceiling fan.

The matter was immediately reported to the NIT administration, which informed the police.

In charge of a police post under Thanesar police station, Vinod Kumar, said the body has been taken into custody and kept in the mortuary of Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital (LNJP) for post-mortem examination.

Police have informed Shiva's family members, who are expected to arrive soon. Further action will be taken based on the statement of the family, Kumar said.

During preliminary questioning, Shiva's friends told the police that he used to speak frequently on the phone, but they could not understand his native language. However, he conversed with them in Hindi.

Police have initiated proceedings under relevant sections of the law and are continuing their investigation into the matter.