Vijayapura (Karnataka), Feb 19 (PTI): A MBBS student was allegedly ragged and assaulted by his seniors at a medical college here, following which authorities have swung into action and have initiated legal action against the culprits, offcials said on Wednesday.

The victim is a second-year MBBS student at Al-Ameen Medical College, and hails from Jammu and Kashmir.

According to official sources, the student has alleged that he was subjected to ragging and physical assault by senior students. The incident reportedly happened on Tuesday evening during a cricket match, when they questioned his presence and demanded that he leave, but he refused.

He was allegedly asked to sing songs and dance for their amusement, and was even threatened.

The district Deputy Commissioner's office in a statement said, the student did not suffer any injuries and that he was physically healthy, and appropriate legal action is being taken against four senior students.

"Regarding the report that a student at Al-Ameen Medical College in Navarasapura village of Tikota taluk being subjected to ragging and physical violence by 4 senior MBBS students of the same college, as per the directions of the Deputy Commissioner, Vijayapura and Tikota Tahsildars and Additional Superintendents of Police met the student who was assaulted, checked him, and inquired his well-being," the statement read.

They have given a report stating that the student did not suffer any injuries and he was physically healthy, it said

The details of the incident have been given to the Principal Secretary to the Government, Medical Education Department, Mohammad Mohsin, and he has asked to provide appropriate assistance to the attacked student and appropriate legal action to be taken against the four senior students who assaulted him.

The Deputy Commissioner's office statement further stated that appropriate legal action is being taken against the students who assaulted him.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".