Bengaluru, Jun 24 (PTI): Karnataka Housing Minister B Z Zameer Ahmed Khan on Tuesday dismissed allegations of corruption in the allotment of houses under the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) scheme and called for a thorough probe into the matter.

The minister was responding to claims made by ruling Congress MLA from Aland, B R Patil, who alleged that bribes were being collected from poor families in exchange for houses.

"Is there any instance where money is being taken to allot houses? Let B R Patil tell me who demanded money. We will take action against those who accepted bribes — they won’t be spared," Khan told reporters.

He urged Patil to write to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and formally seek an inquiry into the alleged irregularities.

Clarifying his stance, Khan said he had already ordered a departmental probe.

"As the minister, I’ve directed senior officials to investigate whether such incidents have occurred. So far, no such instance has come to my notice," he said.

Refuting allegations that he personally benefited, Khan said, "I am not in such penury that I need to collect money from the poor. If I have taken money for allotting houses, I deserve to be cursed. Will my family or I gain anything by exploiting the poor? We will perish."

He added that only Panchayats are authorised to select beneficiaries, not MLAs.

"If Panchayat members have taken money, let them be exposed. I haven't come across any complaint of Panchayat officials collecting money from beneficiaries."

According to Khan, all MLAs cutting across party lines had submitted recommendations for house allotments, but the state lacked enough stock to meet every request.

"We’re allotting houses in phases. Patil had asked for around 2,000 houses, but we also have to reallocate homes that were cancelled earlier. We’ve given 950 houses to separate Panchayats."

Addressing Patil's complaint that none of the people he recommended were allotted houses while the Aland Panchayat president allegedly secured 950 homes for his people, Khan reiterated that he had no role in the selection.

The minister criticised the Centre for levying 12 per cent GST on the Rs 1.5 lakh grant provided under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) for EWS families.

"I requested BJP leaders in Karnataka to get the GST removed on central housing funds, but nothing has happened," he said.

He explained that the total cost of a house under the scheme is Rs 7.5 lakh, with Rs 1.5 lakh each from the Centre and the state. For SC/ST beneficiaries, the central contribution is Rs 2.5 lakh, and the rest is borne by the beneficiary.

Khan further alleged that while the Slum Development Board was supposed to receive Rs 9,500 crore from the Centre — Rs 7,400 crore under various housing schemes and Rs 2,100 crore under the Rajiv Gandhi Awas Yojana — only Rs 310 crore was released in the last eight years.

"When I brought this to the Chief Minister's notice, the cabinet approved Rs 500 crore in 2024, enabling us to construct and allocate 36,789 houses," he said.

Khan clarified that Patil had not directly accused him of taking bribes.

"He never said I collected money. His grievance seems to be with the process at the local level," the minister said.

The controversy gave ammunition to the opposition BJP and JD(S), who demanded Khan's resignation and a high-level inquiry.

Adding to the Congress’s discomfort, party MLA Belur Gopal Krishna also joined the chorus demanding Khan’s resignation.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.