Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka is preparing to expand its flagship telescope distribution scheme beyond the KREIS residential schools to a larger network of government schools, Minister for Science & Technology N S Boseraju said on Thursday.

The proposal for additional funding will be placed before the chief minister during the next budget meeting, he said.

The minister was speaking after inaugurating a training programme for Karnataka Residential Educational Institutions Society (KRIES) school teachers on telescope management at the Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium, his office said in a statement.

The initiative is part of the government's push to strengthen astronomy-based learning across the State.

Boseraju said the Department of Science and Technology is keen to extend telescope distribution to more schools, noting that the current project covering KRIES institutions has already achieved a significant milestone.

"Under the scheme, 833 residential schools and PU colleges have each received a telescope, at a total cost of Rs 3 crore. No other government department in the country has implemented such a large-scale initiative," he said.

Underscoring the need to cultivate scientific temper, rational thinking, and curiosity among students, in an era driven by knowledge and innovation, he further said, multiple initiatives are being rolled out statewide to strengthen science education.

The minister said, training sessions are being held in phases to ensure KRIES teachers can properly operate, maintain, and integrate telescopes into classroom learning.

The hands-on workshop is expected to inspire a deeper interest in astronomy among students, he said.

At the event, Boseraju also unveiled the 2026 Astronomical Calendar, developed by the department. The calendar will help teachers guide students through monthly celestial events using the telescopes placed in their schools.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): A 30-year-old man was found hanging at his residence in northeast Delhi's Jafrabad area on Thursday, with police suspecting that matrimonial discord may have driven him to take the extreme step, an official said.

Information was received from Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital regarding a person who had been brought dead, he said.

During enquiry, the deceased was identified as Chand (30), a resident of Welcome area. Police said he was staying with his brother at a house in Jafrabad where he was allegedly found hanging.

According to police, Chand was first taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital by family members after they found him in an unconscious state, and was declared brought dead.

The family later shifted him to LNJP Hospital seeking a second medical opinion, where doctors again declared him dead, police said.

Police said the body has been sent for post-mortem to ascertain the cause of death.

During preliminary verification, it came to light that Chand was facing matrimonial issues. His wife had reportedly left him and shifted to her parental home following disputes between the couple, police said, adding that the angle is being examined as part of the investigation.

Crime and forensics teams were informed and necessary legal proceedings are underway, police said.