Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has informed the National Green Tribunal (NGT) that the removal of sandbars from four major rivers in Uttara Kannada district will proceed only after mandatory environmental approvals are granted.

In an affidavit submitted before the NGT’s Chennai Bench, the Department of Mines and Geology said it has already applied to the Karnataka State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA) for permission to clear sandbars in the Sharavathi, Gangavali, Kali and Aghanashini rivers. The tribunal had earlier issued a notice seeking the State’s response following complaints of illegal sand mining in the region, as reported Deccan Herald.

According to the department, eight proposals have been submitted for sandbar removal in the Sharavathi river, seven in the Kali, four in the Aghanashini and one in the Gangavali. It stated that no work would begin until SEIAA grants the requisite clearances.

Officials had earlier told the tribunal that excessive sand accumulation could obstruct river flow, increase erosion of riverbanks and raise the risk of flooding. They also said clearing the sandbars and using the material locally while following environmental safeguards.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."