Belagavi: Every evening at 7 pm, a siren rings out in Halaga, a village near Belagavi, signalling residents to switch off all screens including televisions, mobile phones, laptops and tablets for the next two hours.

The community has voluntarily adopted this “digital-free time” to help students focus on studies and to encourage families to spend more time talking to each other. The 'digital detox' initiative, 'No TV, no mobile, just study and conversation', is said to be the first such to be adopted by a Karnataka village, Deccan Herald reported on Monday.

According to the report, Halaga, which has a population of about 12,000 and is located close to the Suvarna Vidhana Soudha, launched the initiative on December 17. A siren installed at the gram panchayat office marks the start of the no-screen period at 7 pm, and another siren at 9 pm signals its end.

ALSO READ: GBA razes down 400 houses in Yelahanka, minority families including Muslims worst affected

Gram panchayat authorities are reaching out to those residents who are yet to comply and are urging them to stay away from screen during the two hours.

Authorities are also visiting households that have not fully adopted the practice and are encouraging parents to follow the routine strictly. Teachers and panchayat members plan to continue meeting families to ensure more participation.

The Halaga village exercise is said to be inspired by a similar experiment in Agran Dhulgaon near Sangli in Maharashtra which had a positive response on students' learning habits.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bhopal (PTI): Madhya Pradesh minister Kailash Vijayvargiya stirred a controversy when he used an unparliamentary word for the Leader of the Opposition Umang Singhar, prompting speaker Narendra Singh Tomar and Chief Minister Mohan Yadav to express regret.

During the discussion on the motion of thanks on the Governor’s address in the Assembly on Thursday, the parliamentary affairs minister lost his cool, triggering an uproar.

While participating in the discussion, Singhar cited an agreement between the government and the Adani group in Singrauli and claimed the government was preparing to pay the company Rs 1.25 lakh crore over 25 years in the name of power purchase.

Minister Vishwas Sarang objected to this and said the name of a person not present in the House should not be mentioned, while Vijayvargiya accused Singhar of giving false information.

ALSO READ:  Trump repeats claim he ended conflict between India and Pakistan

Singhar hit back, saying he was willing to provide proof if needed. This led to a heated debate and exchange of accusations between the two, during which Vijayvargiya used an unparliamentary word.

Following this, opposition Congress members sought Vijayvargiya’s resignation, and amid the ruckus, Tomar adjourned the House for a while.

When the House reconvened, Tomar regretted the “uncomfortable situation”.

Referring to former chief minister Sunderlal Patwa, Tomar recalled the ex-CM would often say that anger should be visible while speaking in the House, but it should not reflect.

“Anger shouldn’t arise, but it did today, from both sides. It created an uncomfortable situation. I’m saddened by this, and both the ruling and opposition parties are responsible for this. The parliamentary affairs minister is very experienced, yet how the limits were crossed today is a matter of concern for all of us,” Tomar said and urged both sides to resolve the dispute.

Chief Minister Yadav said he apologised to the House for the words that had been uttered, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

Singhar said he respects the CM’s expression and respects parliamentary decorum. “If something has happened on my part, I also express regret,” Singhar added.

Vijayvargiya too said he has 37 years of political experience, but was unhappy with his behaviour. If people in responsible positions don't follow parliamentary decorum, how can other members do it, he asked.

“I don’t know how all this happened today. Umang’s body language was a little different... I love Umang... I am saddened by my behaviour,” Vijayvargiya said.

Later, Singhar claimed in a post on X that he always stays within his limits.

“My status is to boldly raise the questions of the 7.5 crore people of Madhya Pradesh before your arrogant government. This very status of mine dwarfed you so much that your true nature was revealed; this very status of mine forced you to debate Bhagirathpura,” Singhar said in the media post.

The abusive language used by Vijayvargiya was an insult to the people of MP, he added.

“Minister Vijayvargiya, who treats the public like insects, has truly demonstrated his arrogance. 35 families were destroyed, people were rendered homeless - and when you ask questions, you’re told, ‘stay within your limits!’,” Singhar said.

The Congress leader said public representatives have become so power-drunk that they have begun to consider themselves superior to the people.

“The very people you are trying to remind them of their place will show their true place on an election day. Madhya Pradesh will not tolerate insults. The people know how to respond democratically to an incompetent government driven by arrogance and insensitivity,” Singhar said.

MP Congress chief Jitu Patwari described Vijayvargiya’s behaviour as the height of arrogance and said this is a new manifestation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's ‘New India’.

Patwari said the Congress would protest by burning Vijayvargiya's effigies. Shortly after his announcement, some Youth Congress workers burned a poster of Vijayvargiya outside his residence in Bhopal.

Recently, Vijayvargiya sparked a row when he used the word “ghanta”, a slang often used loosely to mean “nonsense” or “rubbish”, to dismiss a reporter’s question concerning drinking water contamination in Indore.