Bengaluru (PTI): The Karnataka government will conduct a new 'Social and Educational survey', popularly known as "caste census", in the state for 15 days, from September 22 to October 7, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said on Wednesday.
The Karnataka State Backward Classes Commission is tasked with submitting the report by the end of October, which will shape the state's next budget.
A preliminary meeting on the social and educational survey was held on Wednesday under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.
"The Backward Classes Commission has submitted a proposal to the government to conduct a social and educational survey. Accordingly, a survey of all 7 crore people in the state will be conducted. The main objective of the census is to eliminate caste discrimination," the CM was quoted as saying by his office in a statement.
The survey also aims to gather comprehensive data on the financial status and land ownership.
Siddaramaiah said. "This time, the survey should be a model survey in the country."
"It has been decided to conduct the survey for 15 days from September 22 to October 7. The survey report should be submitted by the end of October. Instructions have been given to start preliminary preparations for the survey, including training from now itself," he added.
On June 12, the Karnataka cabinet had decided to conduct a fresh social and educational survey (caste census), effectively binning the one done in 2015 at a cost of about Rs 165 crore, citing legalese.
The cabinet had cited Section 11(1) of the Karnataka State Commission for Backward Classes Act 1995, which mandates a revision of the state backward classes list once in 10 years.
The cabinet's decision to conduct a fresh survey follows directives from the top brass of Congress -- President Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi -- to hold caste re-enumeration in Karnataka to address the concerns of some communities, who were excluded in the survey conducted 10 years ago.
At the meeting today, Siddaramaiah emphasised that precautions would be taken to avoid any complaints about the survey and ensured that no one is left out of the exercise.
"The Kantharaju Commission had previously conducted the survey manually by preparing 54 questions. This time, more elements will be included in the survey. This time, the survey will be conducted using a mobile app," he said.
Instructions have been given to study the social and educational census conducted in neighbouring Telangana, and it has also been decided to form a high-level committee to oversee the survey work.
The CM stressed the need for a scientific and transparent approach, with assistance from an expert committee to finalise the questions to be asked in the survey.
Pointing out that human resources, including 1.65 lakh enumerators, are required for the survey work, Siddaramaiah said along with the services of teachers, staff from other departments will also be used for the fresh survey.
The CM asked all the departments concerned to work in coordination and make the survey a success.
Backward Classes Welfare Minister Shivaraj Thangadgi, Chairman of the State Backward Classes Commission Madhusudan R Naik, Chief Secretary to the Government Shalini Rajneesh , Chief Minister's Legal Advisor and MLA Ponnanna, and senior officials attended the meeting.
Various communities, especially Karnataka's two dominant ones -- Vokkaligas and Veershaiva-Lingayats -- had expressed strong reservations about the caste survey that was done in 2015, calling it "unscientific", and had demand that it be rejected, and a fresh survey be conducted. There are also strong voices against it from within the ruling Congress.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.
Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.
"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.
Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.
The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.
Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.
In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.
Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.
