Karwar: Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has accused the BJP government in Karnataka of looting Rs 1.5 lakh crore from the people in the name of ‘40% commission’. While campaigning for RV Deshpande, the Congress candidate in Karwar, Vadra claimed that if the money had been utilized appropriately, it could have provided several amenities like roads, education institutes, and health facilities to the citizens of the state.

Speaking about social harmony, Vadra urged people to beware of misleading statements by the BJP and emphasized the need for unity among citizens of different religions. She further criticized the BJP for attempting to separate people during election times and misleading them with false promises.

Vadra reminded the people that the BJP is the current ruling party in Karnataka and asked them to pay attention to who would work towards preventing a hike in prices of daily necessities, preventing corruption, and providing employment opportunities to the youth. She also highlighted the fact that the BJP had promised 24 new schemes for the women of Karnataka but had only implemented two.

Comparing herself to her grandmother and former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Vadra said that she has not undertaken any work, but Indira Gandhi had implemented many development works for the people. She requested the people to opt for change in the state through this year’s elections and to notice which party is pro-people and which is against.

Vadra also emphasized the teachings of Basavanna and Narayana Guru, asking people to opt for truth and reality in their choices. She ended her speech by urging the people to cast their votes wisely.

Vadra began her speech in Kannada, with ‘Ellarigoo namaskara’, which was well received by the people in attendance. She also apologized for arriving late for the campaign convention and shared that Deshpande had taken her to task for the delay, stating that as a leader with 50 years of experience in the political field, Deshpande had every right to do so.

All the latest news from Mangaluru/Udupi, just one click away. CLICK here to read all the important news from Mangaluru/ Dakshina Kannada in a single click.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): BJP MLC Amit Gorkhe on Thursday claimed a Pune-based hospital refused to admit the pregnant wife of his personal secretary due to non-payment of advance deposit of Rs 10 lakh.

The woman, Tanisha Bhise, later died at another hospital after giving birth to twins, he said in a video message.

Her husband Sushant works as a personal secretary to Gorkhe.

The hospital refuted the allegations and blamed the woman's kin for giving "misleading information".

"Despite an assurance to pay Rs 3 lakh immediately, the hospital denied admission to the patient. Even a call was made from Mantralaya to the Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, but it did not yield any response from the hospital," Gorkhe alleged.

"The woman was later taken to another hospital, where she gave birth to twin girls but passed away. This is a serious issue. I request the chief minister to take strict action against the hospital. I will also raise this matter in the upcoming legislative session," Gorkhe said.

Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sushma Andhare also took to social media and asserted the hospital sought Rs 10 lakh as deposit despite the woman's kin agreeing to arrange Rs 2.5 lakh immediately and the rest in a short period.

"Even after a call from Mantralaya, the hospital did not change its stand. The patient had to be shifted to another hospital, where she delivered twins but did not survive. Had the hospital administration shown some humanitarian consideration, Tanisha Bhise might have been alive today," Andhare stated.

BJP leader and MLC Chitra Wagh also criticised the hospital's action and sought strict action, including revoking licences of doctors or hospitals found guilty of such behaviour.

"If this is the treatment meted out to someone close to a legislator, one can only imagine the plight of ordinary patients," Wagh said.

Wagh in her post on X said, "The doctors were supposed to offer support to the woman but they showed their commercial interest only. If such type of treatment is offered by the hospitals operated by charitable trusts, then the doctor's license should be cancelled and hospital should be closed. One strong step would give a message to others who practice in such way."

The hospital, meanwhile, refuted the allegations and blamed the woman's kin for giving "misleading information".

"We will prepare a detailed report about the incident and will submit it to the health department of the state. The report will have detailed medical information about the incident which was concealed by the kin of the deceased woman,” said Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital medical director Dr Dhananjay Kelkar said.