Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has issued a circular making it mandatory to use Kannada extensively in the administration of all government departments. Chief Secretary Dr. Shalini Rajneesh warned that disciplinary action will be taken against officials who fail to comply with these directions.

The circular, issued on Wednesday, instructs all departments to respond in Kannada to applications and letters received in Kannada. It also mandates that nameplates of government offices be displayed in Kannada. Furthermore, all legislative proceedings, official correspondence, notices, and documentation must be carried out in the state’s official language.

Government orders related to appointments, transfers, and leave approvals should also be issued in Kannada. Dr. Rajneesh emphasized that even forms, record books, and templates provided in English must be filled out in Kannada wherever applicable.

Internal communication such as meeting notices, agendas, brief notes, file notes, and proceedings should be prepared in Kannada to effectively implement the government's language policy. The only exceptions to this directive are official correspondence with the Central Government, courts, and other states.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah observed that earlier instructions regarding Kannada usage were not being followed properly. He directed that any government file that lacks notes or correspondence in Kannada should be returned for proper revision and clarification.

He stressed that it is the responsibility of every officer and employee to implement the state’s language policy across all levels of governance.

The circular applies to all officers and staff in government departments, corporations, boards, local bodies, universities, and aided institutions. Strict adherence to these instructions is expected across the board.

Meanwhile, the move has been welcomed by the Kannada Development Authority. Its President, Dr. Purushottam Bilimale, praised Dr. Shalini Rajneesh for taking strong steps to enforce Kannada usage. In a letter written on Wednesday, he stated that the warning of disciplinary action has already had a significant and positive impact.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.