Bengaluru, Jan 8: Karnataka Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot has written to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah advising him to personally look into BJP MLC C T Ravi's complaint alleging "police atrocity" in Belagavi, after the legislature session last month, and take necessary action.

The Governor in his letter to CM dated December 31, refers to Ravi along with his colleagues meeting him and submitting a detailed representation regarding the incident that happened after the end of the session in Belagavi.

Ravi had allegedly used a derogatory word against Minister Laxmi Hebbalkar in the Legislative Council on December 19 during an altercation between them, when the House was adjourned for a while.

He was arrested on the same day evening and taken into the police van from the premises of Suvarna Vidhana Soudha in Belagavi, where the legislature session was held, based on Hebbalkar's complaint.

Ravi had on December 20 accused the police of "violating" human rights, as he alleged that they took him on rounds the entire night to various places, without providing proper food and rest, after his arrest on the previous evening.

The High Court had subsequently ordered the immediate release of Ravi in its interim order, observing that police failed to follow the procedures in arresting him. However, the bench of Justice M G Uma asked the BJP leader to cooperate with the investigation and be available for questioning.

The Governor in his letter to CM said, "Ravi has informed that the Commissioner of Police, Belagavi and Superintendent of Police, Belagavi with their subordinate officers have kidnapped him and carried him to dangerous remote locations like sugar cane field, open field, Khanapur, Kittur, Lokapur, Sankeshwar and various places of the district over the distance of 400 km throughout the night and also injured him to bleed in custody, terribly tortured and harassed mentally and physically which is unpardonable police atrocity."

Ravi has also informed that the complaint filed by him against the assault and atrocity at Khanapur Police Station and appeal in this regard to SP Belagavi have not been attended by the Police, the Governor said. "Therefore, he has requested me to take legal action against the erred police officers in the entire episode and also requested for additional security for his life."

"On perusal of the representation and documents, both the issues seem very serious and need your personal intervention. Therefore, I have forwarded the said representation along with this letter. Since the matter relates to the elected representative, I advise you to look into the matter personally and take necessary action," Gehlot added.

In the wake of allegations against police for ill-treating Ravi in custody, the Belagavi police had last month clarified that the BJP leader was shifted to various places for security reasons and to avoid disrupting public order.

The Criminal Investigation Department is probing into a case in which Ravi is accused of using a derogatory word against Minister Hebbalkar in the Legislative Council, and also a case in which unknown persons have been accused of allegedly attempting to attack Ravi in the Suvarna Vidhana Soudha on December 19.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."