New Delhi, Feb 7: Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Monday said his government has a "clear view" on the proposed river-linking projects related to the Krishna, Pennar and Cauvery, and that it will take all steps to get the state's share of water and not compromise.
Bommai, who is in the national capital on a two-day visit, also told reporters that the central government has asked the Karnataka government to discuss with the states concerned before finalising a detailed project report (DPR).
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, in her 2022-23 budget speech, had proposed five river linking projects in the country -- Godavari-Krishna, Krishna-Pennar, Pennar-Cauvery, Dharmaganga-Pinjal and Par-Tapi-Narmada. Of these, Krishna, Pennar and Cauvery projects are of concern to Karnataka.
Asked about the three projects related to the state, the Karnataka chief minister said, "In river linking projects, our view is very clear and will take all steps to take the share of Karnataka."
The state government has taken the matter seriously as Krishna and Cauvery are the main rivers that are the lifeline for the state, he said and noted, "We will not compromise on this issue."
Asked if the state government has demanded its share of surplus water, Bomai said the issue of surplus water and river linking are different.
"It is linking of Himalayan and peninsular rivers. We have clarity on this. The same wiil be conveyed," he added.
Bommai had at the recently held Southern Zonal Council meet at Tirupati said peninsular rivers should not be interlinked before the state's share of surplus water is finalised.
The interlinking of Himalayan and peninsular rivers as well as the linking of 37 inter-state rivers had been mired in controversy since it was first proposed by the British in the 19th century.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati, Apr 4 (PTI): The Assam cabinet has decided to lift all cases pending against people from the Koch Rajbongshi community in the Foreigners' Tribunals, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Friday.
They will also no longer carry the tag of 'D' or doubtful voters, he said.
''There are 28,000 cases pending in different Foreigners' Tribunals in the state against people of the community. The cabinet has taken a historic decision of lifting the cases with immediate effect,'' Sarma said at a press conference here after the cabinet meeting.
The government believes that the Koch Rajbongshis are an indigenous community of the state and they are an inextricable part of ''our social and cultural fabric'', he asserted.
The people of this community are poor and have suffered a lot over the years, he said.
''They will no longer carry the tag of foreigners or ‘D’ voters,'' the CM said.
Foreigners Tribunals are quasi-judicial bodies, particularly in Assam, established to determine if a person residing in India is a "foreigner" as defined by the Foreigners Act of 1946, based on the Foreigners (Tribunals) Order of 1964.
These tribunals are designed to address matters related to citizenship and the presence of “foreigners” in India, specifically focusing on cases where someone is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
There are 100 Foreigners’ Tribunals across Assam.
The Koch Rajbongshis have a sizeable presence in Assam, West Bengal, Meghalaya, and parts of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan, and they demand Scheduled Tribe status.