Bengaluru: The Karnataka government on Monday announced that a House committee will be set up to simplify the procedures for granting and renewing recognition for private aided and unaided schools. The assurance follows concerns raised in the Legislative Council over the difficulties schools face in meeting various compliance requirements like building safety and land ownership certifications.
According to a Deccan Herald report the School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa told the Council that the panel would be constituted during the ongoing session. He also stated that no institution would encounter any trouble until its recommendations were finalised, and that the number of criteria required for recognition had already been lowered from 62 to 48, while stating that attempts were underway to move the entire process online. He stressed the importance of student safety and stated that the government will not allow corruption among officials involved in the system.
MLCs across party lines highlighted the hardships encountered by schools in complying with the 2018 recognition rules. Congress member Puttanna said students were being forced to appear as external candidates for examinations when their schools struggled to secure timely renewal, alleging that the system had become a breeding ground for corruption. BJP member Shashil Namoshi questioned why building safety norms were being retrospectively applied to private institutions while government schools remained exempt.
Several other members, including S V Sankanur, S L Bhojegowda, Ramoji Gowda, Ramesh Babu, D T Somashekhar and Hemalatha Naik, warned that the current system had pushed many schools to the brink of closure.
Responding to a separate query on reports of government school closures under the proposed Karnataka Public Schools (KPS) model, the minister categorically denied any such plan. He told the House that no government school, including Kannada-medium institutions, would be shut “under any circumstances,” adding that facilities such as mid-day meals would continue even if only one child were enrolled.
Bangarappa said the confusion had been fuelled by misleading posts on social media and reiterated that the government was committed to strengthening public education. He noted that, contrary to rumours, some MLAs from both the ruling and opposition benches had in fact sought mergers of schools with very low enrolment. The minister said the government was ready to keep schools open, and even to start new ones, if there was demand, and questioned objections to children studying on a single campus from LKG to PUC when transportation was already being provided.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
