Hubballi: Responding to BJP’s criticism that the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into the Dharmasthala complaint is politically motivated, Health and Family Welfare Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao on Tuesday challenged leaders from Dakshina Kannada district to make such claims themselves.
Speaking to reporters in Hubballi, Rao said that the BJP’s accusation that the SIT probe is politically driven is baseless. "The investigation was initiated due to pressure from the public and various organizations. Based on this, the government formed the SIT and the investigation is proceeding accordingly," he stated.
He acknowledged that there has been widespread confusion regarding the case, with allegations suggesting that several bodies were allegedly buried or disposed of secretly.
“It remains to be seen how much of it is true. Naturally, this has sparked a lot of debate across the state,” he added, stressing that there was no political agenda behind the investigation.
On the BJP’s plan to launch a helpline concerning GST notices issued to small traders by the Commercial Tax Department, Rao remarked that the party, including Leader of the Opposition R. Ashoka, lacks proper understanding of GST mechanisms. "The state government has no authority to intervene in GST matters," he clarified.
Referring to the Enforcement Directorate (ED)’s probe into the MUDA case involving Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s wife, Rao said the Supreme Court had strongly criticized the ED’s actions. “The Court has seriously questioned why the ED is interfering in government-related matters. This is a grave issue,” he said.
He also took aim at Union Minister Pralhad Joshi for frequently commenting on ED investigations. “Now that the Supreme Court has delivered its verdict, let him respond. What moral ground does Pralhad Joshi have, who constantly invoked the ED, IT, and CBI?” Rao questioned, calling the verdict a major embarrassment for the Centre.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.
Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.
"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.
Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.
The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.
Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.
In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.
Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.
