Bengaluru, Feb 22 (PTI): Karnataka Transport and Muzrai Minister Ramalinga Reddy on Saturday said that the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) elections must be held this May, "whether we like it or not."
The city has not had an elected municipal council since September 2020.
"This September, it will be five years without BBMP elections," said Reddy, the senior-most MLA in Bengaluru, who represents BTM Layout, when asked about the delay in holding the elections.
Noting that during S M Krishna's tenure as Chief Minister, elections were held on time in 2001, and again under the previous Siddaramaiah government in 2015, he said, "When the BJP was in power in 2008, elections were delayed by 2.8 years. Similarly, the BJP government did not hold polls in 2020."
Defending the Congress government regarding the delay, Reddy said that the postponement is due to the government's plans to create a Greater Bengaluru Authority.
"We have to hold elections in May, whether we like it or not. Otherwise, the Supreme Court will issue directions (to conduct the polls)," he said in response to a question.
In July last year, the Greater Bengaluru Governance Bill was referred to a joint select committee headed by Shivajinagar Congress MLA Rizwan Arshad.
The committee is likely to submit its report to Assembly Speaker U T Khader on Monday.
The Greater Bengaluru Governance Bill allows for the creation of up to 10 municipal corporations in Bengaluru.
Reddy also expressed his opinion that the city must have multiple corporations.
"If we want to serve the people of Bengaluru, a single corporation will definitely not be enough. One commissioner cannot oversee the entire city. We need two or three corporations to ensure proper roads, streetlights, parks, playgrounds, and stormwater drains," he said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
