Bengaluru: As plans for the construction of Bengaluru's second airport progress, the state government faces significant concerns regarding the limited availability of airspace, according to a recent report by the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
The report, cited by Deccan Herald on Tuesday, on the upcoming airport highlights that the “aircraft movement will be constrained due to restricted airspace” at all three sites proposed by the government.
These include two adjacent land parcels on Kanakapura Road near Harohalli, measuring 4,800 and 5,000 acres, and a 5,200-acre site on Kunigal Road near Nelamangala.
“Bengaluru has too many establishments that have already established their claim over the airspace in the city. About half of Bengaluru’s airspace is under the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), almost going up to Coimbatore. In the north, it all comes under the air force station at Yelahanka. Their airspace apparently extends up to Hassan. So now, we have to specifically earmark airspace for the second airport,” DH quoted a senior official from the industries ministry as saying.
This problem is not unique to the second airport project. Similar airspace concerns had arisen during the establishment of Kempegowda International Airport (KIA).
For the proposed Kanakapura sites, the instrument flight procedures (IFPs) will depend on IFPs at HAL airport and TAAL airport in Hosur. In contrast, the Nelamangala location would require coordination with IFPs at HAL, IAF-Yelahanka, and KIA.
“We will follow due process with the committee of the defence ministry to get airspace,” DH quoted Industries Minister M.B. Patil as saying.
While the locations near Kanakapura have hills on the eastern and western sides, the Nelamangala location features hills on the north-eastern and western sides. The AAI report also notes that all three proposed sites feature both hard and soft rocky terrain, which will present significant challenges during construction.
These obstacles must be “evaluated to determine whether they pose potential obstacles to safe air navigation. Any hill within the site boundary that is identified as an obstacle will require levelling,” added the report.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
