Bengaluru: Former Lokayukta Justice N. Santosh Hegde, is “saddened” that the BJP has nominated BS Yeddyurappa, against whom Hegde had prepeared a voluminous report on illegal iron ore mining in 2011, as its chief ministerial candidate.
The former judge of the Supreme Court, in a recent interview with News Click and The Wire, said that he and his officers in the Lokayukta had found “foolproof” and clinching evidence against Yeddyurappa and his sons receiving “bribes” from mining companies and granting them illegal favours.
He expressed his unhappiness that the state government and other law-enforcing agencies had not diligently pursued the cases against the former chief minister and his family members and rued the way in which the faith of ordinary people in the criminal justice system had been eroded.
“We had enough proof that he received Rs 19-20 crore from a company called South West Mining Company which had absolutely no capital. It received (the money) one day, Rs 20 crore starting from the account of Jindal Steel Toranagallu, Bellary, which moved into three or four benami accounts… and landed in the account of South West Mining Company. Out of that Rs 20 crore, Rs 10 crore by cheque was purportedly donated to an education trust in a neighbouring district called Shimoga, which is wholly owned by Yeddyurappa and family,” he said replying to a question.
“For a public servant to receive such a huge gift, according to me, is contrary to law, the disciplinary rules as well as the fact that the file was then pending with Yeddyurappa. As a chief minister he had the mining portfolio with him and received Rs 10 crore as donation which, according to me, shows that money was paid not as a donation but for considerations for showing favours in the mining application,” Mr. Hegde added.
He also said that the state government and the law-enforcing agencies failed to pursue the corruption cases against Yeddyurappa and his family members. He also rued the way in which the faith of ordinary people is being eroded.
It can be recalled that the then chief minister, B S Yeddyurappa had to step down from his post after the submission of final report by the Lokayukta. He had become the first serving CM to go to jail.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet French President Emmanuel Macron in Mumbai on Tuesday, and during their meeting, the two leaders will review the progress made in the India-France strategic partnership.
Modi and Macron's discussions will focus on cementing the strategic ties and further diversifying them into new and emerging areas.
PM Modi and President Macron will also exchange views on issues of regional and global importance.
ALSO READ: Shivaji-Tipu remarks: BJP, Cong workers pelt stones in Pune, 9 injured; case against both sides
"Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Mumbai on February 17 where he will meet the President of France Emmanuel Macron," an official statement said.
During these engagements, both leaders will review the progress made in the India-France strategic partnership, the statement said.
President Macron will be on an official visit to India from February 17-19 at the invitation of Prime Minister Modi to participate in the AI Impact Summit hosted by India, as well as hold a bilateral summit with the Prime Minister in Mumbai.
This will be President Macron's fourth visit to India and his first visit to Mumbai.
Around 3:15 PM on February 17, the two leaders will hold bilateral engagements at Lok Bhavan, Mumbai. Later, around 5:15 PM, the two leaders will inaugurate the India-France Year of Innovation 2026 and address a gathering of business leaders, start-ups, researchers and other innovators from both countries.
