Bengaluru, Jul 18 (PTI): A man was arrested for allegedly using abusive language and derogatory comments against Karnataka and Kannada-speaking people, police said on Friday.

The incident occurred on July 17 at around 9.30 am, when Ranjith Mathew, a delivery partner, called a customer, identified as Mithun Sarkar, to confirm the address to deliver a T-shirt ordered by him through an online platform, they said.

Sarkar, who hails from Tripura, has been living in Bengaluru for the past nine years and claimed that he was under the influence of alcohol at the time of incident, police said. He was arrested on Thursday night.

According to the FIR, Mathew said that during the call, Sarkar allegedly responded to him in Hindi and began verbally abusing him, making insulting remarks about Kannada, Karnataka, and Kannadigas.

In his complaint, he further said that Sarkar claimed "Seventy per cent Hindi speakers are here," and used vulgar language aimed at humiliating him and belittling the Kannada-speaking community.

Based on his complaint, a case was registered at Bommanahalli police station under sections 196(1)(a) (promoting enmity between different groups on ground of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony) and 352 (intentional insult with the intent to provoke a breach of peace) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, a senior police officer said.

"The accused who was arrested in the case alleged that he was under the influence of alcohol when he made such remarks. But we need to verify. An investigation is underway to ascertain his claim," he added.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.