Mandya: Deputy Commissioner Dr. Kumar said on Monday that crash barriers had been erected up to 35 km along the borders of the Visvesvaraya Canal in the district, since road accidents near the canal had resulted in the death of around 15 people in the last two years.
Addressing a meeting in Mandya, the DC said that cars had also fallen into the canal as drivers lost control at curves or while passing along the canal.
A technical committee had been formed for the installation of the barriers. The state government had been handed a proposal seeking Rs 20 crore for the work, he said.
The DC explained that it would be difficult for the district administration to install the barriers along the entire stretch, as the canal extends to 540 km in the district. He, therefore, called upon the government departments to set aside funds from their budgets and construct the barriers along the canal. He stated at the meeting at the Public Works Department had already identified the accident zones and installed the barriers along 20 km, while the Irrigation Department had laid the barriers for 13 km.
Dr. Kumar added that officials concerned had been instructed to lay speed breakers, rumble strips and install sign boards along roads to reduce accidents.
He said that the managing director of the Cauvery Neeravari Nigam Limited (CNNL) had been asked to allocate funds for the prevention of mishaps as a major part of the roads were under the jurisdiction of the CNNL.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
