Bandipur (PTI): Karnataka Forest Minister Eshwar Khandre on Monday directed the formation of a state-level Human-Wildlife Conflict Management Task Force comprising local representatives, NGOs, and environmental experts to curb human-wildlife conflicts in the state.
Chairing an emergency meeting of senior wildlife department officials here following two tiger attack incidents in Saragur taluk—one resulting in a fatality and another causing serious injuries—Khandre said the task force would create awareness among people in forest-fringe villages on coexisting with wildlife and taking necessary precautionary measures.
According to him, the task force would also visit schools in forest-bordering areas to educate students on being sensitive towards wildlife.
"The task force will act as a bridge between officials and villagers," Khandre said in a statement issued by his office.
He emphasised that standard operating procedures (SOPs) must be followed during any tiger, elephant, or leopard capture operations and instructed officials to impose prohibitory orders under Section 155 before initiating such operations.
Khandre urged forest staff and officers to maintain harmonious relations with villagers, act in a friendly manner, and promptly inform locals through microphones and social media if elephants or tigers enter residential areas.
He also directed the use of modern technology, such as thermal cameras and drones, to monitor wildlife movements near human settlements and farmlands.
"A comprehensive command centre will be established to send instant WhatsApp alerts to residents when wild animals are spotted nearby," he said, adding that necessary instructions had already been issued for urgent implementation.
The minister stressed the need for increased patrolling to prevent harm to humans and wildlife and to protect crops. However, he acknowledged a shortage of staff in the department and instructed officials to expedite recruitment.
Khandre suggested hiring frontline staff on a contract basis where required and asked the chief wildlife warden to submit a report within five days on measures to prevent animals such as elephants and tigers from straying out of forests.
He also directed officials to submit proposals for tentacle fencing, solar-powered wire fencing, elephant trenches, and chain-link fencing along railway barricades wherever necessary.
To curb the entry of single-use plastics into forest areas, Khandre launched a two-tier checking system for vehicles travelling through forest routes.
On roads passing through forest regions such as Bandipur and Nagarahole, passengers will first be encouraged to voluntarily dispose of single-use plastic items in designated garbage bins during the first level of checking.
"At the second level, if staff find any single-use plastic items inside vehicles during inspection, a fine will be imposed," he warned.
Khandre noted that when single-use plastics enter forests, wild animals often consume them, leading to illness and death.
"Our staff collect plastic waste along forest roads every day, which also exposes them to the risk of wild animal attacks. Hence, this two-tier inspection system will be an effective measure to curb the issue," he added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
