Bengaluru, Jul 11: Karnataka Mining and Geology Minister Murugesh Nirani on Sunday dismissed the allegation that illegal quarrying was continuing near Krishnaraja Sagar dam in Mandya district.

"There has been absolutely no illegal quarrying activity within the 15-km radius of KRS dam," he said in a statement.

His reaction came as the war of words over illegal quarrying around the dam intensified between Mandya independent MP Sumalatha Ambareesh and former chief minister and JD(S) leader H D Kumaraswamy.

The Minister said he had earlier visited the spot after receiving reports of illegal mining, convened a meeting with officials, including Mandya Deputy Commissioner, Superintendent of Police, MP and local MLA following complaints.

"The government has issued 38 mining leases in the 15-km radius of KRS dam and it was decided in the meeting to cancel all the leases for violating rules and operating without clearance from the ecological department," Nirani said.

Our senior officials had conducted a joint survey two days ago and denied illegal quarrying was going on in the past three months with documentary evidence," he said

Reacting to Sumalathas repeated charges that illegal quarrying was going on, he said officials had conducted a survey and submitted a report, with video and documentary evidence, which said no such activity was going on.

The Minister said if Sumalatha could produce any documents related to illegal mining, then the government will take action.

Nirani requested Kumaraswamy and Sumalatha to end the spat and said such mudslinging by politicians would spoil the atmosphere in the region and discourage investors from making investments, thereby affecting unemployed youth.

On Sunday, Sumalatha once again vowed to intensify her agitation, saying she has waged a war on illegal mining in and around the KRS Dam.

She also appealed to her supporters to tread on the path shown by her actor-turned-politician husband late Ambareesh.

Sumalatha alleged that the safety of the KRS dam is at stake due to the illegal mining around its area.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi, Apr 3 (PTI): The iconic Taj Mahal in Agra earned the "highest income" through the sale of tickets among the ASI-protected monuments from FY19-20 to FY23-24, according to data shared by the government.

Union Culture Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat shared the data in a written response to a query in Rajya Sabha.

He was asked the amount that the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has received from selling entry tickets to various monuments in the last five years, year-wise and monument-wise; and the monuments that have received the highest income through selling entry tickets in the last five years.

In his response, the minister shared the data in a tabular form for cycles of financial years ranging from FY19-20 to FY23-24.

According to the data, Taj Mahal earned the top slot for all five years.

The Mughal-era architectural wonder was commissioned by Emperor Shah Jehan in the 17th century and it is considered one of the most beautiful buildings in the world.

In FY19-20, the Agra Fort in Agra and Qutub Minar in Delhi were in the second and third positions.

In FY20-21, the Group of Monuments Mamallapuram in Tamil Nadu and Sun Temple, Konark were in the second and third positions. In FY23-24, Qutub Minar and Red Fort of Delhi were in the second and third positions.