Bengaluru, April 25: The Congress party on Wednesday slammed the Narendra Modi government for compromising Indias position as "tech giant", saying it "failed" Indian immigrants as the US clamped down on various visa categories.
The party also slammed the Prime Minister for staying "silent" on the issue.
Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said: "PM Modi and BJP must answer to India's, especially Karnataka's IT industry, IT professionals and the young, the reason for bartering India's interests and compromising India's position as tech giant."
Noting Bengaluru emerged as the 'IT hub' of the world and Karnataka tops India as the top state in 'Software and Services Exports', generating $40 billion revenue," he said: "India's growth story on the world stage as a tech power is under a cloud as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP government flounders and fails India's young, standing as a mute spectator to the clamp down by the United States on H4, H1-B and L1 Visas for Indians."
"Hugplomacy, trumpeting rhetoric and beating drums, while staying mum is the only delivery by PM Modi in the last year," he said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court on Monday refused to entertain petitions seeking action against Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma over a viral video purportedly showing him taking aim and firing with a rifle at members of a particular community.
A bench of Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi asked the petitioners to approach the Gauhati High Court with their grievances.
The top court also asked the chief justice of the Gauhati High Court to expedite the hearing in the matter.
“Why haven't you gone to the Gauhati High Court? Don't undermine its authority… Will ask parties to use restraint and remain within the boundaries of constitutional morality, but this is becoming a trend just before the polls.
ALSO READ: Former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Borah resigns from party ahead of assembly polls
"This is a disturbing trend that every matter ends up here. We have already deprived high courts of environmental and commercial litigations," the bench observed.
During the hearing, senior advocate Abhishek Singhvi submitted that Sarma is a habitual and repeat offender, and urged the court to entertain the matter.
The top court on February 10 agreed to consider listing a plea of Left leaders seeking action against Sarma.
Referring to the upcoming Assembly polls in Assam, the top court said the problem is that a part of the elections is fought before it.
It took note of the submissions of lawyer Nizam Pasha, appearing for a few CPI and CPI(M) leaders, against Sarma and said it will consider listing the plea.
The video of Sarma purportedly taking aim with a rifle and firing at two people, one wearing a skull cap and the other with a beard, was shared by the Assam BJP on its official X handle on February 7.
The controversial post sparked widespread outrage and political condemnation. The BJP deleted the post after it was accused of inciting violence and communal hatred.
Separate pleas have been filed by the CPI(M) and CPI leader Annie Raja, seeking the registration of FIRs against Sarma for alleged hate speech aimed at communal polarisation.
They also sought the top court to set up a special investigation team (SIT) because an independent probe was not expected from the state or the central agencies.
The pleas listed in chronological order alleged provocative speeches and statements by Sarma.
Earlier, a separate petition was filed by 12 people on the issue, seeking directions to prevent divisive comments by persons holding constitutional posts.
