Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar on Saturday termed the Delhi Police’s notice to him, seeking financial and transactional details as part of its probe into the National Herald case, as “harassment” and said he will fight it legally.

Condemning the move, Shivakumar, who is also the state Congress chief, questioned the need for a separate police probe when the ED had already filed a chargesheet in connection with the case.

The notice issued by the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) states that Shivakumar is “supposed to have vital information” pertaining to the National Herald case registered on October 3 this year, against Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.

“It is very shocking to me. I have provided all the details to the ED. The ED had summoned me and my brother (former MP D K Suresh) also. There is nothing wrong, it is our (party) institution (National Herald, Young India), and we being Congressmen, we have supported the institution, there is no hide and seek, everything is in black and white,” Shivakumar said.

Speaking to reporters here, he said, “I don’t know. After ED has filed a charge sheet, there was no need for the police (Delhi police) to register a case. We will take up the case, we will fight it in the court of law.”

In the notice dated November 29, the EOW has summoned Shivakumar to appear before it or provide the requested information by December 19 latest.

ALSO READ: Jarkiholi is my colleague, don’t see us as enemies: DK Shivakumar

Calling the move as nothing but “harassment”, the Deputy CM said, “What is there in it? It is our money, we can give it to anyone, whomever we like, when we pay taxes. There is nothing involved.”

Already Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) case has been registered and a chargesheet has been filed, he said. “What more can they do to harass Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and others. They are trying to create confusion.”

Asked if he will appear on December 19, Shivakumar replied that he will examine the legal implications. “It is being done to harass. I condemn it.”

“I don’t know, it was a surprise to me, yesterday I got a notice. I have just studied it, still I will have to go through it again and reply to it. Suresh also had donated some money, earlier being a MP,” he added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."