Belagavi (Karnataka) (PTI): Amid speculation about the ruling Congress planning to move a no-confidence motion against him, Legislative Council Chairman Basavaraj Horatti on Monday said he will abide by the decision of the House, and go by rules regarding the matter.

Horatti also clarified that he has resigned from the primary membership of the BJP, as soon as he was elected as the Chairman in 2022.

According to sources, Congress wants to have its own member as the Chairman, with the numbers now stacked in its favour in the upper house of the legislature.

In the 75-member Council, there are 37 Congress members, an equal number for the NDA (including the Chairman) and an independent Lakhan Jarkiholi, who is believed to be inclined towards Congress.

"Whether there is majority support or not, it is a matter left to the government and the House. It is not related to me. What is decided in the House is final, as the House is supreme. I cannot say anything about that. I will have to abide by the decision of the House. I will abide by it," Horatti said.

 ALSO READ: 570 people held in Karnataka for illegal hoarding, sale of 'Anna Bhagya' rice: Minister

Speaking to reporters here, he said, "if the matter comes for discussion, there are rules for it -- whether to discuss or not. I will go by those rules."

The House has to decide on the matter and he cannot say anything on this, Horatti added.

"Depending on the rules under which the matter comes, I will have to bow to the rules and the decision of the House. I will do that," he added.

Meanwhile, according to official sources, the Chairman left for Bengaluru on Monday.

Congress MLC Nagaraj Yadav has accused Horratti of partisan conduct and alleged irregularities in connection with recruitment to council.

Speaking to reporters, he said the BJP-JD (S) and Congress' numbers are equal, and there is one independent, who is close to CM Siddaramaiah. "So, we have the majority."

Rejecting Yadav's allegations of irregularities in connection with direct recruitment to the Legislative Council secretariat as it was allegedly in violation of rules, Horatti said he would not occupy the chair even for a minute if they are proved.

"Recruitment for the posts were conducted through the Karnataka Examinations Authority (KEA,) based on examination and merit list," he said.

Regarding allegations of him being partisan, Horatti said, though he was elected from the BJP, he had resigned from the party on his election to the Chairman post. 

Regarding allegation relating to his handling of a tussle between Minister Laxmi Hebbalkar and BJP MLC C T Ravi during the session in Belagavi last year, the Chairman said he had formed a committee to look into it, which had met twice, and based on its report, action will be taken.

A controversy had erupted when Ravi allegedly used a derogatory word against Hebbalkar in the Legislative Council, during an altercation between them, when the House was adjourned for a while.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."