Bengaluru(PTI): Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara on Thursday said there was no pressure on him to withdraw a CID probe into the gold smuggling by Kannada actress Ranya Rao.

Karnataka government withdrew its order for a CID investigation into the lapses and dereliction of duty by police personnel deployed at the Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) with regard to Ranya, within 24 hours after pronouncing it.

The Minister said since the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms (DPAR) ordered appointing Additional Chief Secretary Gaurav Gupta to probe the possible role of Ranya’s step father K Ramachandra Rao, a DGP rank officer, a parallel investigation was not needed.

He insisted that he was the one who immediately ordered CID investigation into the protocol lapses as soon as the matter came to light.

"In the meantime, the Chief Minister’s Office also gave direction to the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms since he (Ramachandra Rao) is an IPS officer. So we decided not to order inquiry by our (police) department and let the DPAR probe it," Parameshwara told reporters here.

Hence, the DPAR order is retained. We withdrew because two separate investigations should not take place, he explained.

"There was no pressure. Neither anyone asked for an inquiry nor there was any pressure on us to withdraw it. That’s what had transpired. There is no confusion," The Minister said.

Regarding BJP sharing a photograph showing him and Chief Minister Siddaramaiah attending Ranya Rao’s wedding, Parameshwara dismissed it saying, “We go to thousands of weddings.”

Recently, gold bars worth Rs 12.56 crore were seized from Ranya at Kempegowda International Airport here. The next day, officials said, searches were conducted at her residence where gold jewellery worth Rs 2.06 crore and Rs 2.67 crore in cash were recovered.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Jhajjar (PTI): A chartered accountant has been arrested for allegedly killing his pregnant wife by slitting her throat with a pair of scissors and trying to pass it off as a robbery attempt, police said on Wednesday.

According to police, Anshul Dhawan (31) got married to Mehak (27) in September last year. Both worked in Gurugram.

Police received a call on Sunday night reporting that some unidentified people tried to rob Anshul, took his car and kidnapped his wife, SHO Badli, Inspector Suresh said.

When police reached the spot, they found the woman's body near a dry canal with injury marks on her neck, he said.

Suspecting inconsistencies in Anshul's version of events, police took him into custody for interrogation. He confessed that he had killed Mehak with a pair of scissors, wearing gloves, over suspicions about her character, SHO said.

"During his questioning, it came to light that he had pre-planned the murder. His wife worked in a private bank in Gurugram. He had doubts that she talked to her friends, and he did not like it," SHO added. Following the confession, Anshul was arrested on Monday.

Further investigation into the matter is underway, police said.

Mehak's sister, Shruti, told the reporters that the family had doubts that Anshul was involved in the murder. She said, "We want justice; the killer should be hanged. He did not even think that his wife was two months pregnant."

She said on February 15, Anshul came to their house and stayed only for ten minutes and left with Mehal for Gurugram.

Shruti alleged that Anshul had pre-planned the murder.