Bengaluru, Jun 24 (PTI): Despite "complete and total ceasefire" being called for by US President Donald Trump, Iran-Israel conflict continues to create uncertainty for Indian nationals in the region, pushing the case for the continuation of Operation Sindhu.
A group of 51 people from Alipur village in Karnataka’s Chikkaballapura district returned home from Iran on Tuesday.
Of the 51 evacuees, the first group of 25 people have already arrived at the Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru.
One such returnee, Mir Asif, a student of Islamic Studies, told PTI Videos: “It was scary, but we are happy now that we are back.”
Syed Mohammed Razi, another returning Islamic Studies student, who has been living in Iran for six years now, said, “Although there was a lot happening in Tehran, in our city it was normal.”
Both the students thanked the Indian Embassy and Karnataka government for making it possible for them to return home.
Yet another student of Islamic Studies, Syed Ashraf said he and four of his family members decided to leave even though the situation was fine where they were staying in Iran. “But in general, it was not so good. So, we are glad that the Indian government decided to evacuate all of us. Happy to be back,” added Ashraf.
Alipur is a Shia Muslim-dominated village known for its strong cultural and religious ties with Iran. Over 100 people from here had gone to Iran -- most of them were students, while some were visiting family members or were engaged in business.
Immediately after Israel bombed Iran, the family members of those stuck in Iran had told PTI that most residents from Alipur, who were in various Iranian cities, have been moved to safer areas.
More people from Alipur are expected to come back home in the coming days.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
