Manipal: Minister for Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs K.H. Muniyappa said that the ongoing revision of Below Poverty Line (BPL) cards in Karnataka will conclude by this month’s end, and people can resume applying for new BPL cards from October.

“If anybody’s card was erroneously changed from BPL to APL during the revision, they can apply for a BPL card through the tahsildar,” The Hindu quoted him as saying.

Speaking to reporters after reviewing the progress of the Food and Civil Supplies Department for Udupi and Dakshina Kannada districts at the Deputy Commissioner’s office in Manipal on Friday, Muniyappa explained that once ineligible BPL cardholders are moved to the Above Poverty Line (APL) category, a window will be opened for new applicants.

He said those who had been waiting for nearly two years to apply for BPL cards but could not do so because the window was closed (as too many BPL cards were reported in Karnataka) will finally get the opportunity once the revision process ends.

The minister further urged ineligible cardholders to voluntarily surrender their BPL cards and obtain APL cards, ensuring genuine beneficiaries can avail the scheme.

Muniyappa said that 7.70 lakh ration cards in the state were flagged as ineligible to hold BPL cards as per the Union government’s recent survey of rightful targeting of beneficiaries under the National Food Security Act (NFSA). Those cardholders will be shifted from the BPL to the APL category as per the direction of the Union government, added the report.

He attributed the unusually high number of BPL cards in Karnataka to successive governments issuing them without proper assessment. “States like Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Kerala do not have more than 50% BPL card holders as per an assessment. But this crossed 75% in Karnataka,” he said.

“Notwithstanding a developed state, Karnataka has 1.28 crore BPL and Antyodaya card holders. So the revision of the authenticity of BPL cards was needed,” the minister added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Hyderabad (PTI): A 28-year-old married woman was set on fire allegedly by a man after she "rejected" his marriage proposal in Mahabubabad town on Tuesday, police said.

The accused, in his 40s, who runs a shop, had developed an "illicit" relationship with the woman and was suspecting that she was in contact with another person and that she was "ignoring" him.

He poured petrol on the woman when she was alone at her house and set her on fire. He then hugged her and both of them suffered injuries, police said.

They were initially shifted to Government Hospital in Mahabubabad and later admitted to another state-run Hospital in Warangal for further treatment.

As per the doctors, the woman suffered 90 per cent burns in the incident while the accused 75 per cent burns, police said.

The woman's mother, in a complaint to the police, stated that her daughter was married to a man in Gudur mandal.

Due to family disputes, the woman came to Mahabubabad along with her two children and was residing there for the past three years.

She was running a vegetable cart. The accused was already married, and his wife had passed away. He developed an"illicit" relationship with the woman, police said.

The accused allegedly forced and harassed the victim to marry him, the complainant said.

Based on a complaint, an attempt to murder case was registered in connection with the incident, police added.