Belagavi (Karnataka), Dec 12: The police lathi charge on Panchamasali Lingayat protesters near Suvarna Vidhana Soudha here earlier this week sparked uproar in the Karnataka Assembly on Thursday with state Home Minister G Parameshwara defending the police action and the opposition BJP demanding a government apology and judicial inquiry into the incident.
The Assembly witnessed multiple adjournments as BJP members insisted on a government statement. When Speaker U T Khader eventually allowed Minister Krishna Byre Gowda to respond, he blamed the previous BJP government for unresolved reservation issues, despite the Home Minister already addressing the police action.
The protests by the Panchamasali Lingayat community demanding reservation turned violent on Tuesday. Demonstrators, demanding inclusion in the 2A (15%) category of the OBC reservation matrix instead of the current 3B (5%), allegedly threw stones, prompting the police to resort to lathi charge.
Several protesters and police personnel were injured during the clashes. Among those detained were Basava Jayamruthunjaya Swami of Panchamasali Peetha, BJP MLAs Basangouda Patil Yatnal and Arvind Bellad, and Rajya Sabha MP Iranna Kadadi.
After an obituary reference to two former legislators, BJP leader R Ashoka demanded a statement from CM Siddaramaiah or the Home Minister.
Despite the Speaker's assurance to address the matter after the Question Hour, BJP protests forced an initial adjournment.
When the House reconvened, Home Minister Parameshwara defended the police action, citing maintenance of law and order.
Noting that over 10,000 people had gathered at the protest site, he said Siddaramaiah had sent a ministerial delegation to receive their memorandum. However, protesters insisted that the CM visit the site, which the minister deemed unreasonable.
Parameshwara accused protesters of marching towards Suvarna Vidhana Soudha despite restrictions, removing barricades, and pelting stones at the police, injuring 24 personnel.
He justified the lathi charge as a necessary measure to maintain law and order and said, "This government will not allow anyone to take the law into their hands, irrespective of their religion or community."
Responding to BJP criticisms, Parameshwara asked, "Should we welcome 10,000 protesters with kisses instead of trying to disperse them to maintain order?"
He also sought to know how former Home Ministers R Ashoka and Araga Jnanendra would have handled the situation.
Condemning the lathi charge, Leader of Opposition, Ashoka said during the previous BJP government, a larger protest by the Panchamasali Lingayat community in Bengaluru was managed peacefully.
He demanded a government apology, action against police officers responsible for the lathi charge, withdrawal of cases against protesters, and a judicial inquiry.
Congress MLA Vijayanand Kashappanavar, himself a Panchamasali Lingayat leader, alleged that the protest was "politically motivated" and orchestrated by BJP members.
He further accused RSS elements of instigating the violence, which led to a heated exchange between BJP and Congress legislators.
The Speaker’s decision to allow Minister Krishna Byre Gowda to speak instead of BJP MLAs added to the chaos, forcing an adjournment for lunch.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
