Bengaluru, Dec 28: With just days left until 2025, the Bengaluru Police have made elaborate arrangements for the upcoming New Year celebrations in the city, including tight security deployment in heavy footfall areas to ensure safety of public and smooth flow of traffic.

A total of 11,830 police personnel, including senior officers along with civil defence staff and others, will be keeping a strict vigil across the city, monitoring any potential rave parties and drug-related activities.

Police said the New Year celebrations have been permitted only until 1 am by the government, and the public is allowed to conduct celebrations only within the prescribed time limit.

Addressing a press conference, City Police Commissioner B Dayananda said that, like every year, Bengaluru Police have made elaborate security arrangements for the New Year celebrations in the city to ensure no untoward incidents occur.

"Based on last year's incidents and experience, we are improving security. We have identified areas where people are likely to gather in large numbers, such as MG Road, Brigade Road junction, Koramangala, Indiranagar, and others. Accordingly, arrangements have been made," he said.

He also mentioned that meetings and discussions have been held with civic body BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike), Metro, and other organisations, urging them to make arrangements for lighting, barricading, and operating the metro service at night.

Separate meetings have been held with representatives from Ola and Uber, and pickup locations have been arranged.

"To prevent a stampede-like situation, a one-way pedestrian system has been implemented on MG Road and Brigade Road. People can walk from Cauvery Emporium to Opera Junction, but not in the opposite direction. We also appeal to people not to wear any type of face mask," he added.

Since a large number of people, motorists, and pedestrians will gather in several parts of Bengaluru to celebrate the New Year on MG Road, Brigade Road, Koramangala, Indiranagar 100ft Road, etc., the traffic police have put necessary restrictions on the movement of vehicles in these areas.

Pickets will also be placed in several areas across the city, especially near malls and party areas.

According to the police, a total of 2,572 police officers and staff, including five DCPs, 18 ACPs, and 41 police inspectors, have been deployed in the Central Division, which includes Brigade Road, MG Road, Opera Junction, and Residency Road, among others.

'Safety Islands' with women officers have been set up at important locations for the safety of women, while police kiosks have been installed in strategic areas where necessary services, such as assistance with missing children or theft complaints, can be availed in emergencies.

In other areas of the city where celebrations are expected, such as Koramangala, Indiranagar, HSR Layout, Whitefield, and Airport Road, 2,414 police officials and staff, including 18 police inspectors, four DCPs, and six ACPs, have been deployed.

Observation towers have also been set up for personnel to provide proper surveillance in highly crowded areas, with binoculars provided for better monitoring.

Across the police divisions, 817 CCTV cameras have been installed, 63 watch towers have been erected, 114 women safety islands will be operational, and 48 police kiosks and 54 health centres have been set up as part of precautionary measures.

Additional CCTV cameras will be installed at key locations across the city, and inspections will be carried out by check teams.

In a statement, the city traffic police said that pedestrians will be allowed to walk only on Brigade Road from the MG Road junction towards Opera Junction. Going in the opposite direction will be prohibited.

"If pedestrians need to return to MG Road, they can use the Residency Road-Residency Cross Road (Shankarnag Cinema) route. Drivers and owners of vehicles parked on MG Road, Brigade Road, Rest House Road, Church Street, Residency Road, and St. Mark's Road, must vacate their vehicles by 4 pm on December 31, failing which they will be prosecuted," the statement said.

According to the traffic police, from 11 pm on December 31 to 6 am on January 1, 2025, all types of vehicles will be prohibited on all flyovers in the city (except the elevated expressway leading to the KIA airport) to prevent accidents and mishaps.

On the KIA International Airport elevated expressway, two-wheelers are prohibited from December 31, 2024, 10 pm to January 1, 2025, 6 am.

There will be zero tolerance towards drinking and driving or driving under the influence of narcotic drugs.

"Special drives against commuters who drink and drive or use narcotic drugs will be carried out throughout the night, and all proactive measures, including setting up checkpoints at various locations across the city, will be taken to ensure that no untoward incidents occur," the police said.

The police have also warned of strict action against motorcyclists who drive at high speed recklessly or participate in wheeling/drag racing, causing inconvenience or nuisance to the public.

"If such incidents occur, information is requested to be provided to the police helpline number, 112.

Vehicles parked in prohibited areas and those obstructing traffic will be towed away," the police added.

The public arriving at MG Road and Brigade Road for the New Year celebrations have been advised by the police to use public transport.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."