Bengaluru: Union Minister for Food and Civil Supplies, Prahlad Joshi, has strongly urged the Karnataka state government to immediately address the demands of sugarcane farmers, emphasizing that any delay in resolving their issues would not be acceptable.
Speaking to the media in Bengaluru on Friday, Joshi insisted that the state government should urgently call for talks with both sugarcane farmers and sugar mill owners to swiftly resolve the ongoing crisis. He criticized the government's inaction, stating that forcing farmers to protest on the streets brings shame to the government. Joshi called on Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and the relevant ministers to intervene directly and resolve the issue without further delay.
"Delaying the legitimate demands of sugarcane farmers is not acceptable. It is wrong for the government to pass the blame onto the Centre, especially when the Centre has already granted several concessions to the sugar industry," Joshi said.
Joshi also pointed out that the Centre had already approved additional sugar exports to support the industry. He confirmed that the government had allowed the export of 1.5 million tons of extra sugar, responding to requests from sugar mills. In addition, the Centre has approved the export of molasses. Furthermore, the Centre has ensured that the farmers receive Rs. 3500 per ton for their sugarcane, as per their demands.
He emphasized that the central government had already paid 99% of the payments to sugar mills and that there was a notable increase in the ethanol production from 35 lakh metric tons in the past year.
Joshi criticized the state government for attempting to shift the blame to the Centre instead of taking action at the state level. "The Centre has made significant efforts to support the sugar industry and farmers, but the state government is playing politics and making excuses," he said.
He also commented on the internal discord within the Congress party, stating, "There are conflicting statements from various Congress leaders in the state. They are just making empty promises and talking about irrelevant things."
Reacting to statements from Congress leaders about a "November Revolution," Joshi said that the remarks signified the government's instability. "When the state government talks about revolution, it is an indication of their own failure to govern effectively. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his ministers are busy making conflicting statements, and the administration is in complete disarray," Joshi said.
Joshi also remarked on the uncertainty of the so-called November Revolution, stating that while Congress leaders claim to have an agenda, they have failed to show any real commitment to addressing the people's concerns. He urged the state leadership to focus on governance and fulfill their duties in the best interests of the public.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
