Bengaluru (PTI): The BJP's promise in its manifesto that it will set up 'Atal Aahara Kendra' in each ward of every municipal corporation in Karnataka has put a question mark over the fate of the 'Indira Canteens', which the then Siddaramaiah government launched in August 2017.
The BJP national president J P Nadda released on Monday the 'Praja Pranalike' (Citizens' Manifesto) in the run-up to the May 10 Assembly elections.
"We will set up an 'Atal Aahara Kendra' in every ward of every municipal corporation in the state to provide affordable, quality and healthy food across the state with special focus for delivery boys, cab, auto drivers and unorganised workers," the party said in its manifesto.
"I don't know about the Indira Canteen 'Yojana' but I know that this (Atal Aahara Kendra) is going to take care of the common man," Nadda said in response to a question on the fate of Indira Canteens.
Senior Congress leader and former Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said, "It is ridiculous that the BJP government is promising to open 'Atal Aahara Kendra' after vindictively shutting down 600 Indira Canteens set up by the Congress across the state during its tenure."
In Bengaluru, the Indira Canteens were set up by the then Congress government in about 200 places with an investment of Rs 94 crore, according to Congress leaders.
The Congress had earlier repeatedly accused the current BJP government of shutting down Indira Canteens or changing the name and making it redundant.
"Is your tummy so full that you are ignorant about poor man's hunger? Or does your party cater to only elites' appetite? We shall never tolerate any attempt to axe down Indira Canteen," Siddaramaiah had tweeted on August 28, 2019.
ALSO READ: Congress launches 'CryPM' campaign showing PM Modi wiping tears
The Congress stalwart made his fear public a month after BJP's B S Yediyurappa became the Chief Minister for a fourth time.
Yediyurappa had then clarified that there were no plans to shut or rename the Indira Canteens.
The Congress government launched the Indira Canteen scheme in August 2017 on the lines of 'Amma Canteen' in Tamil Nadu.
"The government had earmarked Rs 94 crore for the Indira Canteen project. We spent Rs 30 lakh on constructing each canteen in each ward of the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike and Rs 60 lakh on each kitchen," a senior government officer, who was part of the project, told PTI.
The annual recurring cost is about Rs 100 crore, which involves Rs 27 a day on each person having meals in the Indira Canteen, he explained.
He said every day about three lakh people avail the food services at these Indira Canteens across Bengaluru.
According to him, the concept of 'Atal Aahara Kendra' is same as the Indira Canteens, where people get breakfast for Rs five and meals twice a day each costing Rs 10.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.
In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.
In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.
Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.
"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.
He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.
Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.
"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.
He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.
"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.
According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.
As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.
A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.
The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.
It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.
The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.
It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.