Bengaluru, Jun 16 (PTI): A Rapido bike taxi rider was caught on camera for allegedly slapping a woman passenger following an argument between them over rash driving, police said on Monday.

The incident occurred on June 13 when the woman, who works as a saleswoman at a jewellery shop in Jayanagar, was en route to her workplace, they said.

Owing to his alleged rash driving, she got off mid-ride and confronted him, leading to a heated argument between them. The woman reportedly also refused to pay the fare and return the helmet, police said.

When contacted, Rapido preferred not to comment on the matter, citing it as a police case.

A video of the incident that has now gone viral on social media platforms showed the biker slapping the woman. The impact of the assault was such that she fell on the ground.

According to the police, when the matter came to light, both the woman and the rider were brought to Jayanagar police station.

The woman claimed that the rider was driving rashly and jumped signals. When she questioned him, an argument broke out between them and he slapped her, a senior police officer said.

Despite persuading the woman, she initially refused to give a complaint. However, police filed a Non-Cognizable Report (NCR) in the matter. Later, a notice was also sent to her to give a complaint, so that an FIR can be registered and further investigation can be carried out, he said.

Based on the complaint lodged by the woman, a case was registered against the accused bike taxi rider on Monday under sections 79 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman), 352 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) and 115 (voluntarily causing hurt) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, said Lokesh B Jagalasar, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South).

"On 13th of this month at 10 am, there was an argument and altercation. It was followed by the slapping of a woman by a Rapido driver. On asking the woman to register an FIR that day at Jayanagar police station, she refused to do so. However, today she has come forward to register a case in this regard.

The facts of the case are such that on 13th morning, the woman had objected to the unsafe riding of the driver, following which an altercation had ensued. He slapped her. Regarding this, the investigation is underway and the accused is being questioned and legal action will be taken as per law," he said in a video statement.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Kendrapara (Odisha) (PTI): A three-month-long caste row at an anganwadi centre in a village in Odisha's Kendrapara district ended on Monday as upper caste children returned to the facility and consumed food cooked by a Dalit woman helper.

Of the 20 children on the roll, 16 came to the anganwadi centre in Nuagaon village under Ghalimala gram panchayat with their parents and accepted the food cooked by the helper, with the absentees reporting ill.

The anganwadi centre remained shut since November 21 last year, following the appointment of Sharmistha Sethy, a Dalit woman, as a helper, with several upper caste families refusing to send their wards to the facility or even accept nutritious food items supplied by the government for pregnant women and lactating mothers.

ALSO READ:  Australia add Steve Smith as replacement for Hazlewood in T20 World Cup squad

The caste row triggered nationwide outrage, and the matter was even raised in Parliament, with Congress president and Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge, voicing concern over caste discrimination in the workplace.

On Monday, Kendrapara Child Development Project Officer (CDPO) Dipali Mishra and Rajnagar MLA Dhruba Charan Sahoo were present at the anganwadi centre to welcome the children.

"I served ragi ladoos to the children. Later, I cooked rice and 'dalma' (vegetable curry) and served the children. Seeing them eat the meals made me overjoyed. They also played with toys, bringing back life to the centre, which was left deserted for around three months," Sethy said.

"I hope caste discrimination will not lurk its ugly head in the village anymore," she added.

CDPO Mishra said the children, flanked by their guardians, had joyous moments at the centre.

"The centre functioned sans the children for almost three months due to some villagers' disagreement over the appointment of Sharmistha Sethy as the anganwadi centre helper. Now, the vibrancy is back," Mishra said.

On the absentees, the CDPO said they could not join as they are not well.

"We hope the absentee children will come to the centre on Tuesday as the dispute has been resolved. People have decided to relegate the differences to the background. This is heartening," she added.

Rajnagar MLA Dhurba Charan Sahoo said, "The issue is now a thing of the past. I hope the camaraderie among the villagers will remain intact."

Taking to X, Kendrapara MP and BJP national vice president Baijayant Panda said, "Delighted at children having a nutritious meal today at the Nuagaon anganwadi which I had reviewed yesterday and had a wonderful lunch along with local leaders and villagers. It was heartening to see the community coming together to ensure great beginnings for their children."

Panda, who hails from the Brahmin community, and other upper caste villagers joined a feast where Sethy served food to the guests on Sunday.

State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR) member Sujata Nayak hailed the children's return to the centre and said the commission will launch an awareness drive aimed at safeguarding the rights of the children.

Kendrapara district sub-collector Arun Nayak had earlier said the matter was resolved in the presence of stakeholders, including members of the SCPCR and Odisha State Commission for Women, as the officials sensitised villagers on the matter.