Bengaluru: Taking note of the reports of the construction of a temple on the premises of Bangalore University, several activists have written an open letter to the Vice Chancellor of the University adding that the construction was against the rules set by the UGC Act 2000.

In an open letter written to the VC of the University, the forum has added that the UGC Act 2000 bars educational institutions from having religious structures on campus, and despite this, a temple is reportedly being constructed in violation of this law in the Bangalore University premises.

The forum has also expressed shock over the development as the temple is being constructed on the premises of the university under the watch of the VC.

“The focus should be on setting up libraries and research centers on the university campuses not temples, churches, or mosques of any religion. We should construct what is required for the overall development of the students.” The letter stated.

“In your administration, the construction work of a temple is underway unnoticed by you and under the watch of police. Hence we are questioning your position. It is unfortunate that Bangalore University is in news for this reason.” It further told the VC.

The letter further added “Crematoriums have already been constructed on the premises of Bangalore University. Students are also claiming that there are tens of temples and marriage centers.

“What the students need is libraries, not fancy churches and mosques. As the head of the syndicate that runs the university administration, you have a huge responsibility. We are confident that by being in such a position you will adequately handle the basic objectives of the University without giving rise to any kind of controversy.” It added.

Earlier, the students and staff members of the Bangalore Agricultural University broke out and protested against the government's move to build a biotechnology park on the campus. We want to bring the matter to your notice that the government has withdrawn from its decision, the letter asserted.

“In this regard, the Honorable Vice-Chancellors should take this matter seriously and not give a chance to any government or non-governmental organizations behind the construction of this temple, if necessary, they should also consider taking legal measures to fix the issue,” the letter added.

The letter was signed by activists HM Venkatesh, HG Ramesh, CP Thippeswamy, MG Vasudev Murthy, Pradeep Mendonca, and Handralu Nagabhushan

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): In a major jolt to the West Bengal government, the Supreme Court on Thursday invalidated the appointment of 25,753 teachers and other staff in state-run and state-aided schools, and termed the entire selection process "vitiated and tainted".

A bench comprising Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sanjiv Khanna and Justice Sanjay Kumar upheld a Calcutta High Court verdict dated April 22, 2024, annulling the appointments and ordered the Trinamool Congress-led state government to initiate a fresh selection process to be concluded within three months.

"In our opinion, this is the case where the entire selection process is vitiated and tainted beyond resolution. Manipulations and frauds on a large scale, coupled with attempts to cover-up, have dented the selection process beyond repair.

"The credibility and legitimacy of selection are diluted, and accordingly, we have to keep it (order of the high court) with some modifications," the CJI said while pronouncing the verdict on as many as 127 petitions pertaining to the Calcutta High Court verdict.

The CJI also said the employees whose appointments have been annulled are not needed to return their salaries and other emoluments earned so far.

It, however, made relaxation for certain disabled employees on humanitarian grounds, saying they would remain in the job.

The bench fixed pleas, including the one filed by the West Bengal government challenging the high court direction for a CBI probe, for hearing on April 4.

The detailed judgement is awaited.

On February 10, the top court reserved its judgement on a batch of petitions in the matter and said that those who got jobs wrongly may be knocked out.

The top court commenced the final hearing on December 19 last year and heard the parties on January 15, 27 and February 10 before reserving its verdict on the politically-sensitive case.

Citing irregularities such as OMR sheet tampering and rank-jumping, the high court had invalidated the appointment of 25,753 teachers and non-teaching staff in state-run and state-aided schools in West Bengal.

On May 7 last year, the apex court stayed the high court's order over the appointments made by the state's School Service Commission (SSC).

The top court, however, permitted the CBI to continue with its probe into the matter.

The case stemmed from the alleged irregularities in the 2016 recruitment process conducted by the West Bengal SSC in which 23 lakh candidates appeared for 24,640 posts and a total of 25,753 appointment letters were issued.

The apex court had termed it a "systemic fraud".

The high court instructed those appointed outside the officially available 24,640 vacancies, those recruited after the expiry of the official date, and those who submitted blank OMR sheets but obtained appointments to return all the remunerations and benefits received by them with 12 per cent per interest.

Former West Bengal education minister Partha Chatterjee and Trinamool Congress MLAs Manik Bhattacharya and Jiban Krishna Saha are among the accused being probed in the recruitment scam.