Bengaluru (PTI): An 83-year-old retired Army colonel here became the latest victim of online fraud, losing Rs 56.05 lakh after scammers impersonating Mumbai police officers threatened him with arrest.
An FIR was registered at the Central CEN crime police station on November 18, officials said on Friday.
According to the FIR, the victim received a call on October 27 from a man identifying himself as Mumbai police Inspector Sanjay Pishe, who claimed that a SIM card issued in the complainant’s name had been used to abuse the public.
When the elderly man said he was unable to travel to Mumbai for an inquiry, he was connected via video call to a woman identifying herself as senior officer Kavita Pomane, and later to another person named Vishwas, who claimed to be a higher official.
The callers told him the inquiry would be conducted online and allegedly extracted his personal, family and bank details while threatening him with arrest if he disclosed it to anyone, it said.
They also demanded his live location every three hours and instructed him to share his bank details on WhatsApp for “RBI verification”, the FIR stated.
Believing them, the complainant shared details of four bank accounts and, on their instructions, transferred Rs 6 lakh and Rs 5 lakh from his bank account to another account as specified by the fraudsters.
Later, he was directed to liquidate his mutual funds and other investments. He then transferred another Rs 35.05 lakh from his bank accounts and Rs 10 lakh more to the same bank account specified by the fraudsters.
When he sought a refund, the impostors claimed that RBI was verifying the funds and would return the money within three days.
Based on the victim's complaint, a case was registered under relevant sections of the Information Technology Act and section 318(4) (Cheating) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, police said, adding that further investigation is underway.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court on Thursday slammed the freebies culture, saying it was high time to revisit such policies that hamper the country's economic development.
Taking note of the Tamil Nadu Power Distribution Corporation Ltd's plea, which proposed to provide free electricity to all irrespective of financial status of consumers, the top court said it was quite understandable if states hand-hold the poor.
“Most of the states in the country are revenue deficit states and yet they are offering such freebies” overlooking development, a bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi said.
ALSO READ: SC grants bail to filmmaker Vikram Bhatt in cheating case
The bench said economic development of the nation gets hampered with this kind of largesse distribution and states should work to open avenues for employment instead of giving free food, cycles, electricity to all.
The top court, however, issued notice to Centre and others on the plea of the DMK government-led power distribution firm which proposes to provide free electricity.
The power firm has challenged a rule of the Electricity Amendment Rules, 2024.
“What kind of culture are we developing in India? It is understandable that as part of the welfare measure you want to provide to those who are incapable of pay the electricity charges,” the bench asked.
“But without drawing a distinction between those who can afford and those who cannot, you start distributing. Will it not amount to an appeasing policy,” the CJI asked.
The bench asked as to why the Tamil Nadu firm suddenly decided to loosen the purse strings after the electricity tariff was notified.
“The states should work to open avenues for employment. If you start giving free food from morning to evening then free cycle, then free electricity then who will work and then what will happen to the work culture,” the CJI said.
The bench said states, instead of spending on development projects, do two jobs - paying salaries and distributing such largesse.
