Davangere (Karnataka), Jun 16 (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday laid the foundation for development projects worth Rs 1,350 crore in Davangere district and hit out at the BJP for its accusations that the state government lacks the financial strength to deliver on its promises.

Later, speaking at a public function, Siddaramaiah said, "In a single day, we have inaugurated and launched development works worth ₹1,350 crore. If we had no money, could this have been possible? The BJP’s lies stand exposed."

Targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the CM said, "What use is a 56-inch chest when there’s no space in it for the poor and the middle class? His chest might be wide, but there is no compassion inside it."

Siddaramaiah accused the BJP of deliberately spreading misinformation.

"From the Prime Minister down to the local BJP leaders, they claimed that our guarantees would never be implemented. Today, all five guarantees are in force. People across Karnataka, including BJP voters, are benefiting," he said.

Highlighting Karnataka’s fiscal strength, he pointed out that the state now boasts one of the largest budgets and ranks second in the country for GST collection. "This proves our economy is growing and progressing," the chief minister asserted.

In a direct comparison with the previous BJP government, Siddaramaiah said, "When they were in power, not a single house was given to the people. Today, we allotted 1,892 houses to the urban working class in Davangere district alone."

The CM emphasised that his government’s goal is to empower all sections of society, irrespective of caste, class, or religion.

"We are committed to economic and social justice as envisioned by Dr B R Ambedkar. We don’t see caste or party lines when it comes to development," he said.

Siddaramaiah also challenged BJP state president B Y Vijayendra and Leader of Opposition in the Karnataka Assembly R Ashoka for a public debate on the state’s finances and developmental progress.

"If what I said about the Centre’s betrayal is false, I will never step on a public stage again," he declared.

The CM criticised the central government’s alleged apathy towards Karnataka, stating that the 15th Finance Commission had discriminated against the state to the tune of Rs 11,500 crore.

"The BJP government at the Centre did not release even a single rupee out of the Rs 5,000 crore it had announced for the Bhadra Upper River Project," he said.

Referring to the rising cost of living, Siddaramaiah blamed PM Modi for the surge in prices of fuel, gold, and fertilisers.

"Modi’s ‘Achhe Din’ is just a slogan. Has anyone seen these good days?" he asked.

Taking stock of recent electoral trends, Siddaramaiah said the people of Karnataka had rejected the BJP’s falsehoods in recent bypolls.

"In Shiggaon and Channapatna assembly bypolls, people defeated the children of former chief ministers. We also won in Sandur. We will win again in the next election," he added.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Kendrapara (Odisha) (PTI): A three-month-long caste row at an anganwadi centre in a village in Odisha's Kendrapara district ended on Monday as upper caste children returned to the facility and consumed food cooked by a Dalit woman helper.

Of the 20 children on the roll, 16 came to the anganwadi centre in Nuagaon village under Ghalimala gram panchayat with their parents and accepted the food cooked by the helper, with the absentees reporting ill.

The anganwadi centre remained shut since November 21 last year, following the appointment of Sharmistha Sethy, a Dalit woman, as a helper, with several upper caste families refusing to send their wards to the facility or even accept nutritious food items supplied by the government for pregnant women and lactating mothers.

ALSO READ:  Australia add Steve Smith as replacement for Hazlewood in T20 World Cup squad

The caste row triggered nationwide outrage, and the matter was even raised in Parliament, with Congress president and Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge, voicing concern over caste discrimination in the workplace.

On Monday, Kendrapara Child Development Project Officer (CDPO) Dipali Mishra and Rajnagar MLA Dhruba Charan Sahoo were present at the anganwadi centre to welcome the children.

"I served ragi ladoos to the children. Later, I cooked rice and 'dalma' (vegetable curry) and served the children. Seeing them eat the meals made me overjoyed. They also played with toys, bringing back life to the centre, which was left deserted for around three months," Sethy said.

"I hope caste discrimination will not lurk its ugly head in the village anymore," she added.

CDPO Mishra said the children, flanked by their guardians, had joyous moments at the centre.

"The centre functioned sans the children for almost three months due to some villagers' disagreement over the appointment of Sharmistha Sethy as the anganwadi centre helper. Now, the vibrancy is back," Mishra said.

On the absentees, the CDPO said they could not join as they are not well.

"We hope the absentee children will come to the centre on Tuesday as the dispute has been resolved. People have decided to relegate the differences to the background. This is heartening," she added.

Rajnagar MLA Dhurba Charan Sahoo said, "The issue is now a thing of the past. I hope the camaraderie among the villagers will remain intact."

Taking to X, Kendrapara MP and BJP national vice president Baijayant Panda said, "Delighted at children having a nutritious meal today at the Nuagaon anganwadi which I had reviewed yesterday and had a wonderful lunch along with local leaders and villagers. It was heartening to see the community coming together to ensure great beginnings for their children."

Panda, who hails from the Brahmin community, and other upper caste villagers joined a feast where Sethy served food to the guests on Sunday.

State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR) member Sujata Nayak hailed the children's return to the centre and said the commission will launch an awareness drive aimed at safeguarding the rights of the children.

Kendrapara district sub-collector Arun Nayak had earlier said the matter was resolved in the presence of stakeholders, including members of the SCPCR and Odisha State Commission for Women, as the officials sensitised villagers on the matter.