Mandya(PTI): Union Minister H D Kumaraswamy on Thursday accused the Karnataka government of "looting" Bengaluru residents, as he alleged that under the pretext of 'B' khata to 'A' khata conversion, Rs 15,000 crore was being 'extorted'.

Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar on Wednesday had launched a new scheme that allows 'B' khata properties in Bengaluru to obtain an 'A' khata by paying 5 percent of the property's guidance value, which is expected to benefit over 7.5 lakh properties and generate substantial revenue for the government.

The government has advertised this move as the "Deepavali gift" to Bengaluru citizens.

Khata is an official document in Karnataka that records a property's tax account with the local municipality or corporation

A-khata is issued to genuine properties approved by government planning bodies such as the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA), whereas B-khata refers to those without formal government approval.

"People thought a Deepavali gift would bring them real relief. Seeing the big advertisements, even I believed. But in reality, it has turned out to be a betrayal of the people in the name of Deepavali," Kumaraswamy was quoted as saying by his office in a release.

Bengaluru residents are being "gifted" a shock instead, the JD(S) leader said, adding, "to convert from B-Khata to A-Khata, people are required to pay an application fee of Rs 500."

"In the name of this fee alone, the government is extorting hundreds of crores. For a 30x40 plot, they are charging between Rs 4 to 8 lakh. Earlier, residents had to pay only Rs 10,000- Rs 13,000. Now, they are being forced to pay in lakhs. Through this A-Khata scam, the state government is looting Rs 15,000 crore."

"Is this what it means to improve the lives of the people," he asked, and said, "since this government came to power, it has been indulging in extortion from citizens. Its only focus is on making money at every opportunity."

Responding to Kumaraswamy's allegations, Shivakumar said, "Good for him (Kumaraswamy), let him deploy his investigation team to check."

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, facing multiple cases of fraud and money laundering, told the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot say when he will return to India as he is legally barred from leaving the UK.

In a statement submitted through his counsel Amit Desai to the high court, Mallya said he did not have an active passport after it was revoked and hence, he cannot give a definite date of return to India.

The statement was submitted after a bench of Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad made it clear last week that it would not hear Mallya's plea against the order declaring a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.

The court had then asked the former liquor to clarify whether or not he intended to return to India.

Mallya, based in the United Kingdom since 2016, has filed two petitions in the HC -- one challenging an order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

The 70-year-old liquor baron is accused of defaulting on multiple loan repayments of several thousand crores and facing money laundering charges.

The businessman, in his statement to HC, said he cannot give a definite date for his return as he does not have his Indian passport, which was revoked by the government in 2016, and also because there are orders of courts in England and Wales that prohibit him from leaving the country.

"Mallya is not permitted to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales or apply for or be in possession of any international travel document. In any event, the petitioner is unable to precisely state when he will return to India," Desai read out the statement in the court.

The senior counsel reiterated that Mallya's presence was not required in the country for the court to hear his pleas against the fugitive tag and the provisions of the Act.

"If he (Mallya) were to appear in India, then all these proceedings would be rendered irrelevant as the statute says that once the offender appears in the concerned court of law, then all these orders would be set aside," Desai told the court.

The bench directed the Union government to file its reply to Mallya's statement and posted the matter for further hearing next month.

Mallya was declared a Fugitive Economic Offender in January 2019 by a special court hearing cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The businessman left India in March 2016.