Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar on Thursday met Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge at his residence here, leading to speculations linking it to the ongoing power tussle in the state for the CM post.

However, speaking to reporters after the meeting, Shivakumar said he did not discuss anything political and has only shared his thoughts with the Congress president, as a state unit chief, regarding the law enacted by the centre replacing the MGNREGA, ahead of the Congress Working Committee meeting on December 27.

He said he has not discussed any other issue with Kharge. "There is no need to do it, I will not do it, there is no such thing for now. Siddaramaiah and I have said that we will work abiding by the high command's decision, and we are committed to it."

Responding to a question on his statement that he will remain a party worker, Shivakumar said, what he meant was being a lifetime member of the party and serving the organisation, irrespective of the post or the position he holds.

ALSO READ: Man shoots woman dead, hangs self in UP’s Baghpat over unrequited love

"I'm a lifetime worker of the party. Whatever the post may be, I'm a worker of the party. I have tied the party flag, both as a party worker and President. I have pasted party posters, and I have done the sweeping work. I have done all things for the Congress party. I have not come just to sit and make speeches on the stage. I have done all the work for the party," he said.

When asked as to when he will get a reward for his hard work, he said, "I won't answer such things."

The power tussle within the ruling party has intensified amid speculations about a change in chief minister in the state, after the Congress government reached the halfway mark of its five-year term on November 20.

The meeting with the AICC chief has gained significance as Kharge on Sunday had said that the confusion over the leadership issue in the party's Karnataka unit exists only at the local level and not in the party's high command.

Kharge had also said that the local leaders should take ownership of the internal disputes rather than blaming the high command.

Asked about Kharge's statement, Shivakumar said, "As a senior leader, he has given his guidance."

Kharge's statement had come at a time when it was widely expected in the Congress and the political circles that the party high command would call both Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar to Delhi, to put an end to the leadership issue in the state, after the legislature session concluded on December 19.

Asked whether he will be going to Delhi, the Deputy CM said that he has no such plans, and if there is any work or if he is called by the party, he will go.

"If I'm called, I will go. I have not been called so far," he said.

When told that Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has been invited for the CWC meeting, Shivakumar said, "Maybe. I'm aware that three CMs (from Congress-ruled states) have been invited. Deputy CMs have not been called. State Congress Presidents are only called for the extended working committee meeting."

Amid the leadership issue, Siddaramaiah, on December 19, had asserted on the floor of the Assembly that he would continue in office. He had also said that the Congress high command was "in my favour" and asserted that no decision was made on his staying at the helm for only two-and-a-half years.

Reacting to which, Shivakumar had on Friday said that he and CM Siddaramaiah have come to an agreement with the involvement of the Congress high command, and both of them will abide by it.

The Congress Working Committee, the party's highest decision-making body, will meet on December 27 to deliberate on the government replacing the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) with the Viksit Bharat Guarantee for Rozgar and Ajeevika Mission (Gramin) (VB-G RAM G) Act.

Accusing the centre of removing Mahatma Gandhi's name from MGNREGA and trying to kill the scheme, Shivakumar on Thursday said, the new law makes for 40 per cent contribution for the scheme from the states, no state can afford, even the BJP states can't implement it. It is also detrimental for the poor, labourers and farmers.

"We have to fight, we are planning. As the state Congress president, I will plan a big movement on this. All panchayat members and MGNREGA workers should come together and ensure that the MGNREGA is restored and protect rural development," he said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.