Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday said neither he nor his ministers are attending the inauguration of Sigandur bridge and foundation stone laying ceremony of infrastructure projects at Sagara taluk in Shivamogga, which is being attended by Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, as a mark of protest, as they were not invited.
However, Gadkari, who is the union minister for Road Transport and Highways in a post on 'X' said, an official invitation was duly extended to Siddaramaiah on July 11, inviting him to preside over the programme. In light of any possible scheduling challenges, a subsequent letter was sent on July 12, requesting his virtual presence.
He has also posted both the letters addressed to the CM on "X'.
"None of us are participating, I was not invited, I spoke to Nitin Gadkari over the phone and told him, he said he will postpone. Then I wrote a letter to him. Probably BJP leaders might have put pressure, without telling me anything, they are doing it. I'm not going. I have a pre-scheduled event at Indi, it was scheduled a month ago, I'm going there," Siddaramaiah said on Monday in response to a question.
Speaking to reporters here, he said, "As a mark of protest none of us are going, neither me nor PWD Minister nor district in-charge Minister or Sagara MLA."
Asked wouldn't it lead to a friction between centre and state, the CM said, "They (centre) should invite right? Who has started the friction? They have started the friction. Protocol has to be followed. The event is being held in our state, we are in a federal system."
"In Railways and other projects for which the state too contributes, we invite them (central ministers) for the inaugural programmes. As per protocol they should have invited me, PWD Minister, local MLA, district incharge Minister, but none of us were invited. I had called Gadkari after seeing the programme schedule," he added.
Gadkari on Monday inaugurated "Sigandur Bridge", which is said to be India's second-longest cable-stayed bridge between Ambaragodlu-Kalasavalli in Sagara taluk. The bridge has been built at a cost of Rs 472 crore, official sources said.
Gadkari in a post on 'X' said, in a major step towards boosting regional connectivity, the inauguration and foundation stone laying ceremony for multiple key infrastructure projects is being held today in Shivamogga, Karnataka.
"An official invitation was duly extended to the Chief Minister of Karnataka, Shri Siddaramaiah Ji, on 11th July 2025, inviting him to preside over the programme. In light of any possible scheduling challenges, a subsequent letter was sent on 12th July, requesting his virtual presence," he said.
The Central Government continues to uphold established protocols and has consistently appreciated the contributions and cooperation of the Government of Karnataka and the Chief Minister, Gardkari further said,"It remains committed to cooperative federalism and close coordination with all states."
The Chief Minister's office on Sunday evening had shared a letter by Siddaramaiah to Gadkari dated July 11, urging him to postpone the event, stating that he was not informed in advance.
Citing his scheduled visit to Indi taluk in Vijayapura district, the CM in a letter to Gadkari said, it would have been more appropriate for MoRTH to have consulted with the state government before scheduling such a programme, and requested him to instruct the officials in this regard.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
