Bengaluru: Karnataka, India’s leading producer of silk, is witnessing a sharp decline in raw silk output this year, as pest outbreaks and rising input costs drive sericulture farmers to shift away from the crop in favour of fruits, vegetables, and flowers.

The Central Silk Board (CSB) has projected India’s total raw silk production at 30,614 tonnes for the 2024-25 marketing year (April-December) — a significant drop from last year’s 38,913 tonnes, as reported by Deccan Herald on Sunday.

“The data is provisional and does not include estimates of raw silk produced between January and April, production may cross 38,000 to 40,000 MT,” DH quoted Kumaresan Periasamy, scientist, Central Silk Board, as saying.

Despite optimism shown by the official, ground reports from key sericulture hubs such as Sidlaghatta and Ramanagara — popular for cocoon markets and silk reeling — paint a grim picture.

“There have been many diseases that have affected the mulberry crop in the past five years. As a result, many have shifted out of the profession,” DH quoted a farmer from Sidlaghatta as saying. He noted that over the years, labour shortages, escalating costs, and recurring pest and disease outbreaks have severely impacted the viability of sericulture.

While a kilogram of the crossbreed variety of silkworm cocoons can fetch up to Rs 650, input costs have risen to Rs 500 per kg, the report added.

Many farmers who have quit sericulture have reportedly moved on to growing fruits, flowers, and vegetables.

Karnataka, which contributes around 40 percent of the nation’s silk, produced nearly 29,000 tonnes of mulberry silk alone in 2023–24. However, the state’s dominance is being challenged by a combination of factors, including stagnant cocoon prices, stiff competition from Chinese silk imports, and spiralling production costs.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Actor Rajpal Yadav walked out of Tihar Jail on Tuesday evening after the Delhi High Court permitted his temporary release from jail in cheque bounce cases.

After all formalities were completed, Rajpal Yadav walked out of Tihar jail around 4.50 pm, a source said. He was granted relief after submitting Rs 1.5 crore to the complainant.

Speaking to reporters outside the jail, Yadav said he has received unwavering support from across the country.

“In 2027, I will have completed 30 years of working in Bollywood. Everyone has been with me. That is why I could do 200-250 films,” Yadav said.

The actor said he has always complied with the directions of the high court and would continue to do so, adding that he was available whenever required.

"The love and backing of people from across the nation remain with him, and that if there are any allegations, he is ready to respond fully and transparently," Yadav said.

“If anyone wanted legal details, they could speak to my advocate,” he added.

Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma granted interim suspension of the six-month sentence after noting that Yadav had deposited Rs 1.5 crore to the complainant, M/s Murali Projects Pvt Ltd.

"We are granting you an interim suspension of sentence... It is till the next date of hearing," the court said, while directing Yadav to surrender his passport and not leave the country without prior permission. The court also ordered him to remain present, either physically or virtually, on the next date of hearing on March 18.

Yadav had sought suspension of his sentence citing a marriage in his family on February 19.