Bengaluru, Aug 5: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the misappropriation of funds from the state-run Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribe Development Corporation has filed a preliminary charge sheet mentioning the arrest of 12 people and the seizure of Rs 49.96 crore in the case, police said on Monday.
The opposition BJP and JD(S) have been demanding the resignation of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah over the scam that has already led to the resignation of Minister B Nagendra, who is currently under ED scanner.
The Valmiki Corporation's former officials including ex-Managing Director J G Padmanabha and Ex-Accounts Officer Parashuram Durgannanavar; First Finance Credit Co-operative Society Limited Chairman Sathyanarayana Etakari; acquaintance of Former Minister Nagendra Nekkunte Nagaraj; and Brother-in-law of Nekkunte Nagaraj Nageshwar Rao are among the 12 arrested, police said.
According to a police statement regarding the charge sheet, the SIT is conducting the investigation under the guidance and supervision of the Director General of Police, CID, Bengaluru. So far, totally eight cases have been registered in connection with the scam and have been investigated by the SIT.
The SIT has seized cash, gold and other materials from the accused persons.
The total seizure made during the course of investigation is of Rs 49.96 crore, which includes Rs 16.83 crore cash and 16.25 kg gold worth Rs 11.7 crore.
The total value of the luxury cars Lamborghini Urus and Mercedes Benz seized is Rs 4.51 crore, and the investigating officer’s bank account with Rs 3.19 crore seized and amount in frozen accounts add up to Rs 13.72 crore.
"The Investigating Officer of SIT has filed a preliminary charge sheet containing seven volumes and 3,072 pages at High Grounds Police Station in Case No. 118/2024 against the above accused persons under various sections of the IPC, including 120(B) (criminal conspiracy), 406 (criminal breach of trust), 420 (cheating and thereby dishonestly inducing delivery of property) in the 3rd ACMM (Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court), Bengaluru and further investigation is continued," the police said in a statement.
"All out efforts are being made by SIT to investigate the above case and seven other related cases in professional and transparent manner. The investigation continues," they added.
The Valmiki Corporation scam is said to involve about Rs 187.33 crore where the money kept in various accounts, including Rs 40 crore in the government treasury, was diverted towards the Union Bank of India’s MG Road branch.
Of the Rs 187.33 crore, Rs 88.63 crore was illegally transferred to at least 217 different bank accounts in Telangana including 18 firms.
Former minister Nagendra, who was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate, is in judicial custody in connection with the case.
The scam came to light after the Accounts Superintendent of the Corporation Chandrasekharan P died by suicide.
In his suicide note, he had explained in detail how the money was transferred and the role of the Corporation and the bank officials in the scam.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.
In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.
In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.
Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.
"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.
He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.
Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.
"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.
He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.
"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.
According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.
As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.
A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.
The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.
It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.
The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.
It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.