Thiruvananthapuram: Six UK returnees from Kerala, including a two-year-old child, have tested positive for the new strain of the virus, Health Minister KK Shailaja said here on Monday.

"Six people who recently returned from the UK have tested positive for the new strain. We have placed them under surveillance. Their samples had been sent to NIV, Pune, and the results were received today," she told reporters tonight.

While two persons each from Alappuzha and Kozhikode tested positive for the new variant, Kottayam and Kannur districts reported one case each, she said.

Without revealing the names, the minister, later in a release said the two Kozhikode natives are aged 35 and two.

The two from Alappuzha are aged 30 and 36, while those from Kottayam and Kannur are aged 20 and 29 respectively.

A total of 39 UK returnees have tested positive for COVID-19 till now and their samples were sent to the National Institute of Virology, Pune.

The six fresh cases of a new strain of virus was from among these 39 samples.

"The six patients are under isolation and observation," the minister added.

Shailaja asked the people to remain cautious as the infection rate was high for the new strain of the virus.

"The infection rate for the new strain of the virus is very high. So those who have come in contact with the infected people should identify themselves. There is no need to worry. This can be cured if we take necessary precautions," Shailaja said.

She said elderly people must remain careful and urged them to practice reverse quarantine.

Reverse quarantine involves separating those who are likely to develop severe illness (vulnerable population), from the general public who are at the risk of the disease during an outbreak of infectious disease, so that the associated mortality and morbidity can be reduced.

The minister said airports and seaports in Kerala will remain under strict vigil and those arriving in the state from European countries would be under observation.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.

The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.

Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.

District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.

Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."

The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.

Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."

"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.

Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.

"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.