Bengaluru: The ongoing Social and Educational Survey in Karnataka has been extended till October 31, Minister for Kannada and Culture and Backward Classes Welfare Shivraj S. Tangadagi announced on Sunday.

The decision was taken during a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah at his residence, “Krishna.” Speaking to reporters after the meeting, the minister said that teachers will not be deployed for the remaining nine days of the survey and that staff from other departments will be utilized instead.

In view of the Deepavali festival, the Chief Minister has directed that survey staff be given leave on October 20, 21, and 22. The survey will resume on October 23 and continue until the end of the month. District commissioners have been instructed to complete the process using personnel from various departments, Tangadagi added.

So far, the survey has been completed in 95% of districts across the state, excluding Greater Bengaluru. Coverage stands at 86% in Ramanagara, 88% in Dharwad, and 79.46% in Bidar. Bengaluru has achieved only around 45% completion, primarily because the exercise started late in the city.

The minister noted that in some districts, the survey is already 100% complete, and only a few remaining districts require additional time to wrap up by October 31.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has also directed legislators to create awareness among the public in Bengaluru regarding the importance of the survey.

Reacting to Infosys Foundation chairperson Sudha Murthy’s reported refusal to participate, Minister Tangadagi said, “She holds a responsible position in society. Before making such statements, it would be better to obtain accurate information. This is a social and educational survey — not one limited to SC, ST, or backward communities. It aims to collect comprehensive social, economic, educational, and occupational data of all communities. People should not be misled.”

Responding to a question about the slower progress in Dharwad district, the minister alleged that political reasons could be behind the delay. “Union Minister and local MP Pralhad Joshi publicly said he would not take part and asked people not to participate. Such behavior is irresponsible. When one holds a position of responsibility, dignity must be maintained. If this logic is applied, should we then oppose the Census conducted by the central government in the future?” he remarked.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has arrested a 22-year-old man who allegedly stole cash, a laptop and a mobile phone from his uncle's shop in Dwarka to take revenge after he was fired from the family business, officials said on Wednesday.

Piyush Tulswani, the accused, completed his Class 11 from Rajasthan's Pilani, after which he came back to live with his family, a senior police officer said.

His father, Kishan Tulswani, used to work as a sales manager at his uncle Jeetu's confectionery shops. After the death of his father, Piyush took up his position, the officer said.

Soon, Piyush started embezzling money from the shops, and was fired after Jeetu took note of the act, police said.

His mother also reprimanded him for embezzling money, after which Piyush left home and started living with his friend, the officer said.

Piyush hatched a plot to steal money from his uncle’s shops, which he knew well. Acting on his plan, he took his brother's scooter and broke open each shop, stealing cash, a laptop and a mobile phone.

On January 31, Jeetu reported the matter to police, accusing Piyush of committing burglaries at his shops located in Sector-18, Sector-11, Sector-12 and Sector-4, Dwarka, the officer said.

Jeetu also provided CCTV camera footage from the shops, in which Piyush could be seen breaking them open, he said.

Tracing his mobile phone locations to Safdarjang, Hauz Khas, Rajapuri and Dabri, police conducted several raids.

“He later switched off his phone to restrict access to his location,” the officer said.

On February 13, police received information that Piyush would come to the fruit mandi in Dabri around 9.30 am. Accordingly, a trap was laid, leading to the arrest of the accused, he said.

Initially, he did not confess to the crime, but when police showed him the CCTV clips, he admitted to committing the burglaries, the officer said.