Mysuru: The Karnataka Forest Department is preparing to establish special task forces to address the rising human–animal conflicts (HACs) across the state amid a surge in wild animals, particularly tigers, straying out of forest areas.

The issue has been most prominent in the Bandipur Tiger Reserve (BTR). Long-term scientific research and data monitoring centre is the need of the hour, Deccan Herald wrote in its report citing experts.

The spike in conflict has been especially alarming around the fringes of BTR, with three people killed, one injured, and 10 tigers rescued in just one month in the Sargur and Nanjangud taluks of Mysuru district. Statewide, 31 people have lost their lives to HACs between April 1 and November 7 this year—cases linked to five tiger attacks, 20 elephant attacks, two leopard attacks, and incidents involving other wild animals. Karnataka recorded 65 HAC cases in 2023–24 and 46 cases so far in 2024–25.

To counter the escalating situation, the proposed special task forces will operate at both district and taluk levels, strengthening coordination among departments during conflict situations.

“Chief Minister Siddaramaiah approved this proposal in principle at a recent review meeting. A government order will be issued to form these task forces in a few weeks,” DH quoted Prabhash Chandra Ray, principal chief conservator of forests and chief wildlife warden of Karnataka, as saying.

Wildlife expert Sanjay Gubbi noted that BTR’s ecological carrying capacity is about 100 tigers, but the reserve currently supports over 140, a rise attributed to intensive habitat management. With the forest area unchanged, surplus tigers are moving into agricultural zones, preying on wild pigs and livestock, and increasing human–tiger conflict.

Gubbi stressed the need to scale back habitat manipulation and allow natural ecological processes to regulate tiger numbers. "We need to halt the intensive management of tiger habitats. Allowing the ecosystem to maintain itself naturally will help bring tiger numbers back to carrying capacity,” DH quoted Gubbi as saying.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Congress leader Sachin Pilot on Thursday hit out at Union minister Kiren Rijiju for passing a "disrespectful and inappropriate" remark against Rahul Gandhi, and asked him to apologise for it.

He was answering a query regarding Rijiju's reported statement in which he described Gandhi as the "most dangerous person" for India's security, and a purported video of a man claiming to be from Karni Sena issuing death threats to the Congress leader.

Addressing a press conference here, Pilot said, "When ordinary journalists criticise the government, they face FIRs and jail. But when threats are issued against the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha (Rahul Gandhi), there is silence. This shows the government's intention. LoP is a constitutional position. To describe him as a security threat is inappropriate and disrespectful. Even as such open threats are being made, the government is not taking any action."

"The statement 9against Gandhi) should be withdrawn and an apology should be issued," the Congress general secretary said, adding that it is the job of the LoP to seek accountability from the government and ask questions.

To a query on the plane crash in which Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar was killed on January 28, Pilot said, "I do not want to speculate. There should be a transparent, time-bound inquiry. If there are doubts, a high-level investigation should clarify facts."

When asked about the demand for leadership change in the opposition INDIA bloc, he said, "Leadership decisions are internal matters. The alliance worked remarkably well in the last Lok Sabha election. The gap in numbers between the INDIA bloc and the NDA was not very wide. We are working together strongly and will continue to do so."

The Congress has been helming the INDIA bloc, a coalition of Opposition parties formed before the 2024 Lok Sabha elections to counter the ruling BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA). However, voices from disgruntled Congress members and those associated with the UPA dispensation suggested that the leadership of the opposition alliance should be given to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee or Tamil Nadu CM M K Stalin.

On Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Indian economy, Pilot said, "India is a major IT power. We have talent and capability. Many countries see India as a natural partner. But we must use our strengths wisely and not compromise our sovereignty under pressure."

"India should have the freedom to decide where to buy oil from. That is a sovereign decision," Pilot said.

On the issue of illegal migration, he said anybody staying illegally in India should be removed regardless of religion or caste.

"But this issue should not be politicised. If the border has been under control for 11 years, how did illegal immigrants enter? The government should provide data on how many people have been deported," he said.

"This government's intent and policies are anti-farmer and there is no accountability. The opposition will continue to demand answers from the government and stand with farmers and the people of India," he said.